Author Topic: Got any hobbies, please share.....  (Read 11273 times)

Colhad

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Got any hobbies, please share.....
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:47:07 PM »
Hi all

I did conduct a search for this topic but came up empty.

The title says it all, life would be pretty dull if we didn't have a hobby. What's yours??

I like a lot of things, I'm a train enthusiast, follow Rugby League (NRL, Brisbane Broncos), Cricket (Aussies, damn South Africa) and like 3D Modelling.

About the last thing I mentioned, 3D modelling, I'd like to show some off. I create cars for a programme called Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 (TRS2004). The latest version is TS2009, more info here http://www.ts2009.com/

I use Gmax to create the cars and export them into Trainz. Basically, I use photographs to texture the cars with.

Ford Falcon GT

Standard Falcons

Some Holdens

The rest of my Photobucket....

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e299/Colhad/TRS2006%20Screenies/?start=0

What's your interest, maybe you can post pics or just explain what it is.

I'm an Aspie.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Got any hobbies, please share.....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »
WOW, that's awesome....very clever...

Me, well i don't seem to get much time for hobbies anymore, but i love to cook, and when the chance arises i like to water-colour paint, and read, and play stupid word games. Very lame in comparison to yours...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:34:42 AM »
nothing as creative as you, Colhad, but I like to read, play Stupid Computer Games to the point of obsession, and mess about with my many houseplants.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:31:25 AM »
Reading
Word games (natch!)
Bit of painting
Theatre (occasionally)
Telegraph crossword
Shopping
Tasting fine (and not so fine) wines
People watching
Avidly watching tennis (okay then, avidly watching Rafa!)

.... nothing that requires any form of strenuous exertion (shut it T!)  >:D

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »
Other than Chihuahua, my big passion in life is tracing ancestral roots. I don't much care if they're mine or someone else's. It's a great way to combine a love of history and detective skills. And I love to read. Before I took up genealogy, I used to read a lot of mysteries, sci-fi, fantasy and "literature," but now it's mostly history.

I also enjoy bird-watching and identifying wildflowers. Before we became computerized, I did a fair amount of embroidery. I still have a few unfinished projects left over from the date that we got our first computer!

My husband is a bit of a movie buff, so we watch a lot of films on DVD -- mostly "classic" and foreign.

Sportswise I'm more of a couch potato, but I like to watch American football and ice hockey. However, I could kill you in slow motion with my Tai Chi skills. ;)
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

lucylu

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 04:06:51 AM »
I have many hobbies. I believe every person should have at least one, it helps free the mind from everyday worries and cares.
I like photography and editing the pictures on my computer
I also use a program to photo shop some of them
my icon is a real picture of my dog Lucy but I "created" everything else in the picture
I work with Sculpey clay
make mosaic pictures to hang in the window
have made game boards
glass beads for jewelry and window hangings
word and puzzle games
gardening

cb

• Linguissimo
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:42:26 AM »
Colhad, your graphics work is awsome!

I have tried many many different hobbies and activities over the years, but I'm a terrible flitterbug and tend to move on to new and different things after a while.

I've always loved reading, and have eclectic tastes - anything from detective fiction, fantasy, historical (fiction and n-f)
I am a bit of a gadget girl and love playing with computery type things of every description
I do quite a bit of hillwalking and in warmer weather like to go camping.
I also like watching the feathered friends (sorry Linda) in my back garden, all things nature-related, and being purred at by my two cats.

CB
cb

alliswell

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
Hello all.....it's been awhile since I've been available to communicate - but here I am again.  My hobbies are fairly simple ones.  I love movies...all genres, all eras...while watching I go to www.imdb.com to learn everything about the story, producer, actors, etc.....

My other most time consuming hobby is my three dogs...which I would post a picture of if I knew how, black lab, yellow lab, rottweiler.  All are rescues from a local shelter and all have issues which keep me busy!  They are the love of my life.  (let's hope my children never read this!)  

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »
Neat graphics!

Alas, I have not been able to devote quite so much time to hobbies in the last few months.  The work schedule has precluded much of anything else.  When I have the time, my hobbies include music (listening and playing), woodwork (especially making toys for needy children), lapidary arts (gem cutting), sailing, cooking, dog walking, brewing (though not so much these days), paleontology, reading, and a few others.

I really do need to send you some photos of the latest home project, but I would first need to find the camera.  Several of our chi-mates might enjoy this one.
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:05:12 AM »
And seeing everyone else's lists, I realize I left off birdwatching and wildflowers identification (and other bits of nature) - maybe because I don't regard them as hobbies but essential parts of my life!

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
Depends on what you call a hobby.  I spend a lot of time on word games, crossword puzzles, and jigsaw puzzles, but my real passion is duplicate bridge.  I suppose you would also consider pyrotechnics since I am no longer being paid for it.  I am a certified pyrotechnician.  That's certification by the PGI (Pyrotechnic Guild International) as opposed to "certifiable" :-) but I stopped shooting shows last Summer - its a real physical strain.  It takes a lot of muscle and man hours to set a show up (and break it down) whether you ematch or shoot by hand.  So now I just go to club meetings and conventions.  Can't afford to make my own (and don't have a safe place to do it anyway) although I did win a Class C competition at our club last year.  Any other fireworks people out there?

I also play a lot of golf in the summer and have recently started fencing classes (hence the photo).  Probably do a lot more of all this when I retire in two years.
Stevens Point, WI

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »
  Any other fireworks people out there?

Only as a spectator, Tom, but I do love watching them!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 07:19:18 AM »
Pretty to look at...OOOh!! AAAAhhhhhh!!!

..not so good for the ozone layer, global warming and pockets...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »
But so beautiful!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
I love fireworks too, Tom. I go to the display at Stanford Hall every year. The MC attempts to educate the audience on the difficulties of pyrotechnics and I did some research on the internet at one point, so fascinated was I.

My one reservation is the effect that fireworks have on wildlife, especially in these days where any anniversary or social gathering is an excuse to let a few off.

As for my hobbies:

Reading
Listening to music
Playing my sax
Arranging music for the band I'm in
Gym
Birding
Wildlife in general
Chi! (trying to cut back on the amount of time I spend at it though!)
Griddlers - another addictive game I play on the internet - if anyone is interested I'll tell you more about it.
Studying - one of the reasons I'm cutting back on Chi.