Author Topic: nones?  (Read 2771 times)

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
nones?
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:27:11 AM »
Why is nones not acceptable as a rare word?  The fifth canonical hour.  Is it possible it gets automatically locked out if you put in "none" before trying nones?
Stevens Point, WI

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: nones?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »
The short answer is because it looks like a plural formed simply by adding s, and such plurals are not allowed (with some exceptions). This question came up before with relation to another of the canonical hours, lauds. You can find the discussion at https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php/topic,751.0.html

It would seem from his rejection of lauds that Alan is likely to reject nones, as well, but then one can always hope.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: nones?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »
yes, tcr - or should I say Tom? I pruned our word list with an automated process that zapped anything that looked like a plural formed by adding s to the end of another word. Then I added back some words like news, that shouldn't really have been dropped. However, I missed some such cases.

Actually, the case of nones is different from that of lauds.

The latter can be a form of the verb laud, for example a news headline from February 2008: "D’Amato Lauds McCain's Stance on Iraq". In fact, it looks like the vast majority of hits when searching on lauds (in corpora or newspaper indexes) are of this type. This is why the word falls foul of our "plurals" rule - which includes verb inflections made by adding s.

However, in the case of nones, it seems that the canonical hour meaning is by far the most common one. Apparently the word did originate from the addition of s to an archaic noun none (pronounced to rhyme with bone) meaning "the last part of the day, lasting from about 3 p.m. to 6 p.m." However I'm happy to disregard this archaic sense of none.

To complicate matters further, it appears that none is sometimes used instead of nones, but this is not a case of singular and plural - both words are used with exactly the same meaning, and both may be treated as singular, according to the Shorter Oxford.

Honesty compels me to mention one example I found where nones was used as a plural of none in the sense of "not any", in an April 2008 restaurant review in the Denver Post:

The stop-start pace of the meal, with plates arriving in twos and threes, then ones, then nones, made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing, which I didn't.

But this must be classed as a nonce usage (as well as a nones usage).

To sum up, when we see the word nones, it is almost certainly being used as a word that has no singular form none in contemporary usage. (Whereas, when we see the word lauds, it is most likely a form of the verb laud.) So nones should be added to our word list.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites