Author Topic: true blue "didge"  (Read 2682 times)

perdita

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
true blue "didge"
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »
.. Didge didn't even register as an uncommon word... but it's always been a short version of didgeridoo, esp. here in WA

Perdita :)

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
Re: true blue "didge"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:46:16 AM »
I'm with you, perdita, even though I'm not from Oz. There are a few devotees of the didge here in the States. I have also tried didj, which is sometimes used here. It, too, was rejected.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
Perdita, I agree with you that the word didge is often used these days. For example, a number of us used it in this topic in this very forum last year.

It doesn't seem to be listed in any general dictionaries, although it does have an entry in Cassell's Dictionary of Slang. However, I think it is used often enough - and not exclusively in Australia, as RM testifies - to qualify for our list.

One Australian newspaper chain, the Fairfax press, used the word 26 times in the past 12 months, although some of these were in the unrelated (but also Australian) phrase ridgy-didge, meaning truly, or genuine. The most recent use of didge for the instrument was today, when Tracee Hutchison wrote, of publicity efforts in Germany for the film Australia:

In case you missed it Hugh stood on one leg, a la blackfella, while Our Nic tried to play the didge — an instrument banned to women — while the audience rolled about guffawing. You'll find it on YouTube. Of course, they'll apologise and say they meant no harm. That's what whitefellas always do.

The News Limited and ABC indexes also give numerous hits for didge. The didj spelling doesn't seem to be used nearly as often, so I don't think we should include this version in our list.

Incidentally, the word didgeridoo (also didjeridu) is often thought to be from an Aboriginal language, but the current thinking by lexicographers is that the word was coined by whites, in imitation of the instrument's sound. See also this article, which attempts to make a case for an Irish origin for the word.

So I will add didge to the word list when it is next updated. 
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
OK, Alan, we're still waiting for this one! ;) My hit rate took a hit in the Challenge puzzle yesterday when I tried this word.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
Oops!

Sorry, RM, and Perdita, and anyone else who may have been caught out. I somehow overlooked this word. I'll make sure to include it in the next word update.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites