Author Topic: problem with the game?  (Read 10928 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
problem with the game?
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:57:37 AM »
Hi Alan, this has never happened before but I've been switched 3 or 4 times in the last few minutes to a random puzzle in the middle of typing a word in both the standard and challenge game.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: problem with the game?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:06:40 AM »
And now it's showing the puzzle (which just closed) as "Thursday 5 days ago."  I think I'll take a break and see if it's righted itself when I come back after closing it out.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »
That's got me mystified, Birdy. I can't see any signs of anything going wrong. Let me know how the game behaves when you come back to it.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »
Whatever was wrong seems to have corrected itself, at least in the few minutes I was just playing.  Now the only problem is that the puzzle won't let me find the 9-letter word  :D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
It's happening again - I've tried both the standard and the challenge game and I type about 4 or 5 letters and am switched over either to a random game or the board from a few days ago.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
I gather you play via the keyboard, Birdy. I wonder if some of your keystrokes are somehow being treated as some sort of navigational shortcut. Have you tried playing with the mouse when this problem arises? If it only happens when you're typing letters, not when you're clicking them, that could be a clue to what's going wrong.
Alan Walker

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
I think I was using the mouse at the time, actually.  But it will probably clear itself up, if it hasn't already.  It did last time.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 08:02:05 PM »
Aaaaaargh!  I have exactly the same problem. I put in 2 or 3 letters and then I'm suddenly switched to an old game. I always use the mouse, rather than the keyboard, and it's never happened to me before. Until I saw Birdy's post, I thought it was my computer.............

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »
so far, so good today.  Maybe it just needed a rest...

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »

This is TERRIBLE ! This is HORRENDOUS ! This could be the end of civilization as we know it!
I cannot play the game AT ALL. The moment I enter any letter, it switches to an old game or a random game.
GAGL, I beg of you, HELP ME!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 09:32:09 PM »
Frankly, it's got me baffled, Binkie. I'll do some more investigation tomorrow, but in the meantime, I suggest you watch the tennis.
Alan Walker

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 11:37:45 PM »
Well I'll be!  I watched the tennis as you suggested, O GAGL, and then had a sudden inspiration. I've just started to use Internet Explorer again after a long gap. Decided to switch browsers and try Chi again, and there was no problem! What a relief...........I shall NOT be using IE from now on.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
I don't think it's just IE, Binks - I've been going onto the site from Mozilla Firefox.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 04:22:50 AM »
I was experiencing a slight variation on this theme: I would open my browser, the game would load, and then a few seconds later the same game would reload (unless I was in the Your Puzzles section, when sometimes a different game would load). Plus sometimes I would create a new game, publish it, then discover I had actually created two different games with the same name -- one published and one not. This morning it occurred to me to try the old "F5" trick -- namely hitting the F5 key to reload Chihuahua so that the browser will play the most current version, not one in the cache. So far so good.

This also may or may not have anything to do with our adware detector finding some kind of downloader on the computer and deleting it not too long before I hit the F5 key.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 04:52:26 AM »
So far I've not had any of these problems with the game. Hope mentioning this doesn't jinx me!