Author Topic: Nature pics  (Read 82561 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Nature pics
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2017, 12:52:26 AM »
Long-tailed tits are actually quite approachable, Jock. I was quite close to this one when I snapped it.

At my local nature reserve there are robins that will readily come to your hand if you offer them food, but last time I was there someone told me that he'd seen someone hand-feeding a long-tailed tit.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2017, 03:26:17 AM »
I haven't been able to get a good picture of long-tailed tits, because they move around so quickly.  My friend in Preston has regular visits from bullfinches, but she does provide a generous table for them and their friends.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:07 PM »
I've just got back from Sri Lanka which has lots of gorgeous butterflies as well as birds. This one was particularly lovely,  a common jezebel, one of a small group of butterflies whose underwing is more brightly coloured than the topside.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2018, 06:37:05 AM »
Smashing picture Pat.  What a beautiful butterfly.  Look forward to seeing some more of your pictures.
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
Lovely butterfly, Pat.  I spend much too much time on FB nature sites.  Those pictures are addictive.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »
Just got back from a trip to Peru where I saw this gorgeous little bird, a rufous-crested coquette, just two and a half inches long. His favourite perch was in a leafless tree just a few yards away. Linda - even you might like this one!

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2018, 11:50:03 PM »
I saw a funny series of National Geographic photographers with animals on or near them while in action. And now this is how I visualize you, Pat.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2018, 12:59:47 AM »
Linda - even you might like this one!

I've seen more hideous b****, Pat.  Hope you had a good trip.  I have just come back from Verona, Venice and Vicenza (VVV) and can't recall seeing any b**** other than the odd seagull!  Perhaps the heat is forcing them to stay out of the sun because it was ridiculously hot - just the weather for mad dogs and Englishmen!  >:D

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2018, 03:53:19 AM »
I saw a funny series of National Geographic photographers with animals on or near them while in action. And now this is how I visualize you, Pat.

These folks are dedicated photographers! Not quite what I am, I'm afraid. I'd never describer myself as a photographer, but I'm a bit more than a point-and-shoot-er. Perhaps a snapographer.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 09, 2018, 04:21:54 AM »
Smashing picture Pat.  Don't think you do yourself justice - your pictures are brilliant :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2018, 05:09:18 AM »
Pen, you know that saying about monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare? Well the same sort of thing applies to me - I've got a good camera and lens and I'm not completely useless so occasionally I manage a nice photo. But thanks anyway!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
Pretty little bird, Pat. One I haven't seen, though I did see the tufted coquette at Asa Wright in Trinidad.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
Just got back from a trip to Peru where I saw this gorgeous little bird, a rufous-crested coquette, just two and a half inches long. His favourite perch was in a leafless tree just a few yards away. Linda - even you might like this one!

You've been to Peru?

Don't suppose you saw this on your travels there, did you?

Only that's a native of Peru, and it's my big target species to hunt down if ever I go there.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
Is this a species of blue morpho? There are some gorgeous butterflies and moths in Peru. I did see a couple of huge blue ones but I’ve no idea what they were.

The Owlet Lodge, where we stayed for a few nights, had the outside walls of its cabins painted a sort of pale mustard colour and lights were left on overnight. In the mornings the walls were covered with the most amazing selection of insects, mostly moths but also lots of beetles (many on their backs on the ground, waving their legs around, which of course I had to turn the right way up) and other intriguing things like stick insects.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »
As an expert on things entomological, Calilasseia, can you tell me what this is? It's about the size of my little finger nail and was walking at a fair pace along a long wooden railing (hence the not very sharp photo). It got to the end, realized it couldn't go any further, turned round and started to go back. Any large ants it encountered gave way to it, but tiny ants didn't. In fact one seemed to nick a bit of the white stuff, which I assume the insect is carrying as some sort of protection.