Author Topic: Nature pics  (Read 82553 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: Nature pics
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »
...and that's why we're busting out all over!!!

And who is this June????

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »
I don't know who she is, but I bet she's about 16. They're the ones who seem to be busting out all over these days!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2009, 03:22:14 AM »
So very true, sadly!!!

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
I envy you all with spring, it's my favourite season.  We're well into autumn now and it's starting to get chilly.

Our spring isn't as spectacular as the Northern Hemisphere's spring, but it starts very early.  By the end of July, when my birthday comes, the almond trees are always in bloom and the oaks are popping leaves out.  The birds stay much the same, my garden always has robin's and thrushes hunting scraps.  I just love the feeling of hope and new beginnings that spring always brings.  Enjoy every minute Northies!

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2009, 02:23:49 AM »
I envy you all with spring, it's my favourite season.  We're well into autumn now and it's starting to get chilly.
Spring is also my favourite season, but autumn is next. Too bad I can't just jump from spring to autumn and skip summer.

Anyone know a place where the temperature is mostly -5℃ — 20℃ (like 80% of the time) and almost always -15℃ — 25℃ (like 99% of the time) and never over 30℃ (the cloudier the better)?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2009, 03:51:23 AM »
I think you're describing a typical English summer's day there, TRex!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2009, 11:40:55 PM »
After a fantastic weekend of the most glorious weather...it's peeing down and blowing a hooley again today...back to winter AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »
Yeah it was pouring down rain here yesterday, too. And today it's as dark as ever--it looks like it could start up again at any moment. Where's my sunshine?!?!

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »
Hi everyone
Sydney is very warm and humid at the moment and all the tropical plants are in their element. I have been trying to post some images for a while and I think I have worked it out finally. This image of a Jacaranda was taken in November which is the peak flowering time for this South American Native. It is a stunning tree and has been planted in many Sydney gardens and in Queensland further north and when whole streets are lined with them the effect is incredible. Especially since at the same time a red flowering and a yellow flowering tree are in bloom. When you are on a high point looking out over the streetscapes it is a glorious colour combination

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
Sounds wonderful, smaug. Both the vision you describe and the temperature. Although it's quite mild here in the UK today we've had dreadful weather over the last few weeks - snow, snow and more snow. Apparently the coldest winter for 30 years or so. A spot of warm weather and beautiful flowering trees would hit the spot very nicely.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »
Glad you got to see the image at least Pat!
When I was in the UK in 1985 they said the same thing about the weather - they were skiing on the French Riviera that year!

Here.s another tree for you - a Moreton Bay Fig. This particular one is in the Domain of Sydney  - right in the middle of town and next to the Botanic Gardens. It is an area used for outdoor concerts and is in full gear at the moment because the Sydney Festival goes on for the whole of January - there is opera in the Park, symphony and so on and it is a family event generally speaking. The trees provide a lovely backdrop and shade. They grow very large and have beautiful trunks often with a veil of aerial roots reaching down the ground. They are able to start growing in small cracks in the sandstone rocks of the area and the aerial roots give them added support

These Moreton Bay figs were widely planted in the early years of Sydneys development and are now quite old by Australian standards - getting to 100 years
They fruit each year and attract possums, Flying Foxes ( a large bat) and many birds such as channel billed Cuckoos. There is a bat colony of hundreds of individuals in the Botanic Gardens and unfortunately they are rather unattractive in some respects - they damage the trees. are very raucous and stink!

They also carry a rather nasty virus which has killed a bloke

However, when they fly from their daily roost at sunset, and are joined by a very large colony in a nearby suburb that borders forest, the sight is absolutely amazing.  Once when driving through the city - Sydney is not a small town, this was in between sky scrapers and a busy metropolis - the bats overhead flew so close as to be reflected in the glass windows of the city office blocks. The sky was darkening (we dont get twilight) but was a beautiful burnt orange, and hundreds and hundreds of bats streamed across it, with soft flapping of their wings and  raucous calls to each other as they spread out over the suburbs to feed. We get them in our trees at home here.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
You're really determined to make me envious aren't you, smaug!

Can humans eat the figs from these trees? I love fresh figs but we hardly ever get them here, and those do that do make the shops are often ridiculously overpriced and not very tasty.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »
Its just I know that you are interested Pat - after all you began this thread.
And you went to the Antarctic - I am lucky to have these things so close to home

The figs are not edible that I know of, but we can grow the edible fruit here and get fruit if the whole thing is encaged because the bats, possums and birds get to the fruit before humans do! Figs like this grow best in South Australia, where they have a hot but dry weather, much like the Mediterranean. They are expensive here too but are delicious in a fig and pear tart, or made into Jam with ginger.

But for tonights finale is a tree which burns with fire - the Illawarra Flame Tree
Spectacular  isnt it? And when the flowers finish they form fantastic large seed pods, Like a large, brown, stubby bean
This one attracts hundreds of different pollen eating insects
Keep warm !!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:40:00 PM by smaug »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2010, 12:01:03 AM »
You're right, smaug, and it's good to see someone posting photos. Have you got any of the fruit bats or any local birds? Or any local anythings come to that!

Steadyguy

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »
This is all fascinating stuff. Keep it comin'. :-H :-H :-H
Diem Carpe et Amplexa.
(Roughly translated means 'Don't just seize the day HUG IT!)