Author Topic: Nature pics  (Read 82565 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Nature pics
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 11:23:10 PM »
I'm glad you survived the holiday, and going to Antarctica might be just the right cure! Looking forward very much to seeing those piccies when you return. Be safe -- maybe you can bring home a pet penguin, too!  ;)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 01:14:15 AM »
I hope you are going to wear a vest Pat? It'll be a bit nippy up there!!

Can't wait for the photos...
Enjoy.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 02:23:34 AM »
Vest, techno? I'll have half a suitcase full of long johns and woolly vests! It's actually summer down there, of course, so the weather won't be of the sort that emperor penguins have to endure when they hatch their eggs, but it could still be pretty damn cold, even though there will be almost 24 hours' daylight.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »
Looking forward to seeing those pictures penguins and maybe some orcas?

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »
Sorry Pat
I often think when I am driving past something - 'oh, I'd like to post that on Pats thread!' Alas! I cant seem to get the photos to the right size, and before that even I have to have my camera handy!
Have a great time in Antarctica - Wow!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
I tried to add a photo or two also, but I obviously am too inept at downsizing to the necessary size.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 01:56:15 AM »
Just a few pics from Antarctica (assuming they upload OK!)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 01:58:38 AM »
By the way, I've found an easy way to get the photos small enough to be accepted. Simply email the original photo to yourself and then save the attachment. It reduces the size from a few meg to a few k.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 02:34:56 AM »
Pat, the photos are stunning.

Roy would have loved the penguin [he spent a long time down there sailing around, and penguins were his favourite] and i love the whale pic....

More please.

What a fantastic time you must have had.

Good tip. by the way. I may try that...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 04:58:37 AM »
Pat, love half the photos ... the other half I could well do without!!  Guess which two?!  >:D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
Love the pictures - all of them, beaks, fins, flukes and all.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Pat  - I have been waiting for them and they are awesome.

And thanks for the tip because I can hopefully now post some pictures on your great idea for a continuing thread.

Welcome home!

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
More photos please Pat - they're great.  A lady I work with went to the Antarctic last christmas and treated us to a lunch time talk with slide show.  With the images projected on to a big screen, I almost felt like I was there.

A few posted each day would be good  :)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 03:23:43 AM »
Sorry about the b*** pics Linda! You could always imagine penguins as the way they were first described - fish with feathers!

Although I took 3500 pics (aren't digital cameras wonderful?) they're mostly of penguins, albatrosses, seals and icebergs so you'll soon get fed up of them. Here are a few more though. I think the one of the Adelie penguin's head is my favourite - he's got that "Will you clear off with that camera" look about him, and purely by accident I managed to catch a snowflake so you can just see its six sides.

Many of the icerbergs I saw showed glorious shades of blue - something to do with the ice being so compressed that the air is squeezed out. Whatever the reason, they were some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Apparently the streaks of green in the other iceberg are due to frozen seawater...

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 06:39:04 AM »
I know what you mean about the icebergs, Pat.  When I saw them in Alaska a couple of years ago, I was amazed at how beautiful they were.  I took at least a hundred pictures.  None of my friends wanted to look at that many, so I just put a few in my slide show, but I still go back to look at the complete set on my computer.