Author Topic: Nature pics  (Read 82557 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Nature pics
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:30:49 AM »
I know there's already a thread for photos but I thought it might be nice to have one for nature pics. Autumn has been glorious this year and the acers stunning. I took this pic today - the tree is truly spectacular.

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Nature pics
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:57:13 AM »
That is beautiful Pat and I think it is a good idea for a new topic.  the other one is for fun things.  Jacarandas are in full bloom in my neck of the woods - will have to find a spectacular one and take a photo.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »
love the idea - will search for a photo that will fit on here (sob! - they keep rejecting my attempts).

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:07:46 AM »

Excellent idea, Pat. Have to see what I can do!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 11:25:12 AM »
It may be hard as my piccies are 8 megapixels ... not anything worth it yet, but will also try. And yes, that is a spectacular tree! Thanks for sharing.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »
Is anyone lucky enough to live where Royal Poincianas grow? I once saw one in full bloom in Tenerife and it stopped me in my tracks.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:07:26 AM »
Have seen them on my travels - they're really spectacular!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:48:41 AM »
Pat, that is an absolutely stunning picture.
Thank you for posting it.

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
Beautiful, Pat!  The Jacarandas are just starting here, but the Syringas are lovely.  I really wish I had a camera and could send pics because the Bougainvillea in my garden is stunning.  It covers a whole wall and is just a huge mass of pinky-red blooms.  Maybe when Tim comes out next month, he will have a camera and I'll have a go.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »
yes Pat- great photo and great idea.
Sydney too, is awash with the purple Jacaranda blossoms, and this contasts with the vibrant red of the Illawarra flame trees and the golden yellow of the Silky Oaks - a type of grevillea. When you get up on the high ground and cast around the view is spectacular in some areas. When you look at all the purple Jacarandas you get the same hovering halo effect that I got when I saw the blue bells in England -  the colour is like a puffy cloud. Maybe that doesnt make much sense - sorry
It is a beautiful time of the year here - we have had some substantial rains over the winter and it is becoming warm and sultry and the garden is responding with verdant growth. In Sydney there is always something in flower -  in the depths of winter or the hottest summer's day.
Life is a bloody marvel!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
It is indeed, smaug, and vistas such as those you describe confirm that the best things in life are free.

I know exactly what you mean by a puffy cloud - there are some woods quite close to where I live that are known locally as bluebell woods. When the ground is an unbroken carpet of blue it's a sight to behold. Bluebells smell nice too.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 02:48:47 AM »
Oh, yes, Pat - I saw a bluebell woods near Eastbourne in May - what a treat!

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 08:14:06 AM »
That's what I remember of bluebells and England. Maybe it was the same place.
I have planted them in Sydney but they are no comparison. Because we have hot Spring weather they only last a few days.
cheers

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 07:57:31 PM »
I remember when I was living in UK, spring arrived and suddenly the whole rather boring garden was carpeted in daffodils and grape hyacinths.  So beautiful!  I've tried growing bulbs here, but, like you guys Smaug, it's too hot over winter and spring.  This year I just haven't the money to spare on buying perennials so I've tried seeds.  I've never had much luck before, but this year I've been very caring and they look as if they will be fine.  My baby spinach is galloping ahead and I cut some last Saturday and the basil is also doing wonderfully well.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »
Seems as if no one has any nice photos to post here  :(.

Having endured the excess that is Christmas, on new year's day I'm off to Antarctica for three weeks. Hopefully I should get some good photos so I'll post a couple on here when I get back. In the meantime, a happy new year to you all!