Author Topic: Nature pics  (Read 82772 times)

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
Re: Nature pics
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55:40 AM »
Well I'd love to see some of them, birdy. Try the 'email to yourself' trick and see if it works for you. I use hotmail.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
For some reason that doesn't work - all the things I tried to email to myself or others disappeared, I thought, into cyberspace, until the day I was poking around in mystery files and found them all!  One of these days, I'll get myself over to photobucket or something else like that so everyone can see them.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »
Do you use hotmail, birdy? All you need to do is attach the photo to the email as a photo rather than a file. When I do this and open the email, the names of the attachments are shown and also the photos are displayed in the body of the email.

To save them I right click on the actual photo, rather than the jpg name, and select Save Picture As. You can then choose where to save it on your PC. The size will have already been reduced in order to attach it to the email.

I hope some of you can manage to reduce your photos to an appropriate size either by this means or another as I'd love to see some of yours.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
Awesome Pat...
The last iceberg looks like marble....amazing.

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
Gosh Pat, those are beautiful pics.  Thanks.  (I'm still finding posts that I've missed.  Very serendipitous!----now there's a juicy word!  Hope the spelling is correct?)

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »
Sorry I havent got a picture but we have these gorgeous trees in bloom at the moment we call 'Cape Chestnut". Is this a South African Tree Toni?
They are a lovely round shape and covered in blooms from creams to mauves and lilac
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:57:02 PM by smaug »

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
No, I don't think so Smaug.  I've never heard of them.  The chestnuts we get are the eating kind and are aliens.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 11:33:54 PM »
I googled it and found a nice site - with pictures.  Apparently it is an African tree - maybe it has a different name in your area, Toni - a frequent problem with common names!

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/calodendcape.htm

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:27 AM »
Thats it Birdy - thankyou for going to the trouble to find it
They are quite spectacular around here - not common but really stand out
A lovely thing
Do you know it now Toni?

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 05:21:26 PM »
Oh yes! Thanks Birdy.  I know it by the Afrikaans name and, amazingly, recognise the Latin name.  We don't often see them here in Cape Town.  In the piece that Birdy found it said they are common from Swellendam eastwards.  Swellendam is a dear little town about 2 1/2 hours drive away.  As soon as one gets a bit away from Cape Town (like 1/2 hour's drive) it's considerably warmer as there is far less wind.  Being on a narrow peninsula we are very seldom without wind.  From one of the roads over the mountain near me one can actually see the Atlantic on one side and the Indian on the other.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
Toni
what a lovely picture you paint!

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 09:43:26 PM »
Ah, thank you kind sir! :)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »
Makes me want to pick up and go there -- now!

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
Oh Threeb, I wish you could!  There's always a bed for you here.  How you been girl?  I've misses you.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »
I took these pictures last night at the front of my house. The long-tailed visitor is a ring-tailed possum. Probably the reason I could get so close without it scampering off is that it was engaged in a face-off with next-door's cat (sitting on a wall at the far left of the second picture).

After I took these pictures, I had to go inside to check something on the stove, and when I came back both animals were gone, so I don't know how things ended up. I think cats sometimes attack baby possums, but this one was pretty big and I imagine it could hold its own.

Possums are fairly common in the Australian suburbs, even in inner areas.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:09:20 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites