Author Topic: Nature pics  (Read 82761 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Nature pics
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »
Looking forward to seeing them, Calilasseia.

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »
Gosh yes, me too.  Can't wait.
I'll sleep in my next life

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2019, 02:06:13 AM »
OK, here we go. First off, the first Germander Speedwell flower of the year in my locality ... this doesn't usually start flowering until the 2nd week of April where I live, but we've been having unusually warm weather this February, and so they've popped out now ...
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2019, 02:07:17 AM »
Next up, the cute squirrel I promised :)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2019, 02:09:11 AM »
Pied Wagtail I saw while out shopping about an hour ago ...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2019, 02:11:17 AM »
From a moth trapping session last week ...Red-Green Carpet ...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2019, 02:13:24 AM »
And last night, I took part in another moth trapping session, and had some interesting species turn up ... here's a nice specimen of Hebrew Character ...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2019, 02:14:45 AM »
Nice specimen of The Satellite from the same trapping session ... the two tiny dots next to the larger spot provide the reason for the name of this species, as they resemble tiny moons orbiting a planet :)

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2019, 02:16:37 AM »
That moth trapping session the previous night also provided me with no less than two lifetime firsts ... this is one of them, Dotted Border ...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2019, 02:18:18 AM »
Next, the second of my lifetime firsts from the trapping session last night ... say hello to this little beauty! Which is aptly named Oak Beauty ... seen here posing for the camera on my fingers!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
One of my favorite activities when I'm on a birding trip is seeing the moths that are attracted overnight to a white canvas with a light.  There's so much life in the world that we never see - and I'm not even including the microscopic ones - just because we are basically diurnal.  I was the only one who took advantage of the opportunity on last November's Costa Rica trip (Pat, you probably know the location - Rancho Naturalista) - what a variety the guide and I saw.  My pictures weren't that great, since it was pretty low light and I don't have a steady hand, and of course I didn't have much luck IDing them, especially the carpet moths.

How do you get them to sit on your finger?  Was it cool enough that they were enjoying the body heat?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2019, 08:39:13 PM »
I do indeed know Rancho Naturalista, Birdy. I stayed there during my first visit to Costa Rica about 10 years ago although I don't remember there being a moth trap back then. My best experience of moths and other nocturnal insects was at the Owlet Lodge in northern Peru last year, which I think I mentioned previously in this thread.

I did go on a nocturnal expedition in Costa Rica and was rewarded with this red-eyed tree-frog.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »
One of my favorite activities when I'm on a birding trip is seeing the moths that are attracted overnight to a white canvas with a light.  There's so much life in the world that we never see - and I'm not even including the microscopic ones - just because we are basically diurnal.  I was the only one who took advantage of the opportunity on last November's Costa Rica trip (Pat, you probably know the location - Rancho Naturalista) - what a variety the guide and I saw.  My pictures weren't that great, since it was pretty low light and I don't have a steady hand, and of course I didn't have much luck IDing them, especially the carpet moths.

How do you get them to sit on your finger?  Was it cool enough that they were enjoying the body heat?

Basically, the setup was effectively as you describe above ... white sheet on the ground, MV lamp above it on a tripod powered by a generator. Soon brings the moths in.

In the case of some of the moths, once they settle, they're tame enough to coax onto your fingers for a photo shoot. Others (Large Yellow Underwings spring to mind) behave more like kittens on catnip chasing wind up toys. :D

Though Large Yellow Underwings are among the exceptions when covering the Noctuids. Most of the Noctuids, once they've got over the initial shock of bumping into an MV lamp, settle down pretty quickly and become quite tame. On the other hand, the Oak Beauty surprised me a bit, because several Geometrids are a bit skittish, and this one wasn't. However, the one species that is an utter pain to capture on film is one of the day-flying moths - Hummingbird Hawk-Moth. That one is relentlessly active on a good sunny day, and even if you have a large Honeysuckle bush to tempt it to stay in one place, it darts from flower to flower like a racing drone on acid.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2019, 06:13:40 PM »
I think what you are trying to say is that the hummingbird hawk-moth is as flittery as the hummingbird!  I know - I've never got a good picture of one.

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
Meanwhile, some new pics ...

First, Comma butterfly ...