Author Topic: Read anything interesting recently?  (Read 3624 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Read anything interesting recently?
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
I've just finished a fascinating book - "Title Deeds" by Liza Campbell. She is the daughter of the 6th Thane of Cawdor, and the sister of the 7th. I hope I'm not the only person who didn't realise that the title still exists, long after Shakespeare's time. It's a really intriguing book ( in my opinion!) in that it gives insights into the English feudal system, droit de seigneur, and growing up in an immensely old castle (Cawdor), whilst coping with the dysfunctional family of all time. It's beautifully written, with a wry humour, and lots of phrases which made me laugh out loud. It is also very moving, and an interesting look at the way our childhood can affect our adult lives. If you can get hold of it....please do!

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Read anything interesting recently?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
Sounds very interesting Binks.  I didn't know about Cawdor either.  In fact. I've never thought about it, but, if I had, I might have assumed that Shakespear had made it up.  Crikey, what an ignoramus I am!  :-R

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »
I hope it's available locally here, binks -- sounds like a really fun book! I LOVE the English feudal system -- er, I mean, reading about it. I'm sure it was quite horrid for those under the lord's thumb!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:15:46 AM »
In this case, it's the Scottish feudal system - and Highlands, at that.  I found a couple of interesting sites - the first has good pictures and interesting anecdotes, and the second has a better history.

http://www.castles.org/Chatelaine/CAWDOR.HTM

http://www.ccsna.org/castles/cawdor.html

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:23:56 AM »
Sorry -- the SCOTTISH feudal system -- must have been much different from the others, eh? Hehehe!

Thanks, birdy,  ...

I like the one website signed by the dowager, Countess of Cawdor! What a hoot, mon!

.. and to answer my question, can we find the book easily in the USA bookstores?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:28:09 AM by biggerbirdbrain »

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:35:15 AM »
A search of Amazon.com reveals that this book has been published in the United States with a different title. Here is it called A Charmed Life: Growing up in MacBeth's Castle, by Liza Campbell, published October 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books. It is also available at Barnes & Noble under this new title, so theoretically it should be available locally.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »
Sorry -- the SCOTTISH feudal system -- must have been much different from the others, eh? Hehehe!

Not sure if they were different or not.  My romances* seem to indicate that the Scottish system was based more on clan/family relationships rather than serfs tied to the land.  And I'm sure all those romances couldn't be wrong! :D

*Would you believe there is a whole subgenre devoted to stories set in Scotland?  Readers presumably buy lots of them, maybe because of the cover illustration showing the brawny Highlander clad only in a (slipping) plaid! 

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:27:20 AM »
Thanks for the update, r-m. I'll see if I can find it here.

Birdy, thanks, too, for your explanation. Can't wait to see the brawny Highlander.  >:D