Author Topic: 100%  (Read 9769 times)

Angeline

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
100%
« on: February 16, 2007, 08:45:16 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me ??? sometimes when i'm playing the game on my laptop I accidently miss pressing a letter half way through a word, the game automatically submits the half word and so your percentage goes down.

Would it be possible to submit a word by pressing only the green arrow??? My percentage has gone down loads by making this mistake, I'm so clumsy!!!!!!! lol

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: 100%
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »
i agree - i have the very same problem - good idea - get on to it esteemed puppymaster! (please)
Viz

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 02:16:16 AM »
I would rather not submit the word only by pressing the arrow.  It slows me down.  I would like to stick with the way it is now.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »
I'd be interested in hearing from more players about this, but one thing that might be worth noting is that your hit rate percentage does not go down if the incomplete word has fewer than 4 letters, or if the mandatory letter is not part of it. So, people's hit rates may not be suffering as much from this effect as they think.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mymermaid

• Lexicomane
  • Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »
I definitely wouldn't like to have to use the arrow only to enter a word.

Angeline

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 04:06:48 AM »
I've gone and done it again today with my first word!!!!!!

I had already entered five out of the six letter word, I really will have to try and be more carefull

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:09:34 AM »
I really hope that you do not choose to implement this.  I would find it quite annoying if I had to take my hands off the keyboard for every word!

Perhaps if more people are interested in this, it could be added as an option to disable the Enter key, but please don't force it on the rest of us!

Love the game ... keep up the good work!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »
Dean, I don't think people are talking about problems with the Enter key. The problem is one that affects people playing with the mouse, where a careless click that misses a letter can submit the word.

There are currently three ways to submit a word: the green arrow, the Enter key and clicking on an unoccupied spot on the "X". When people suggest words should only be played via the green arrow, they're not even thinking about the Enter key. So don't worry, keyboard mode is not under threat.

Incidentally, I'm experimenting with a refinement that will submit the word only if you click on the area a letter has just moved from. Effectively you could submit the word by "double clicking" on the last letter. (Except it's not really double clicking because the letter will probably have already moved away by the time your second click happens.) So if your next click misses the letter you were aiming at, it won't do anything. The green arrow and the Enter key will still be available.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Angeline

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 08:31:01 AM »
Thank you so much Alan :)

I love the new way :)

brilliant idea

Viz

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 12:01:28 AM »
well it was your idea in the first place angeline- so you should get some of the credit - although alan did implement it quick fast. i think its good - i like the go back button - saves all that typing when entering ed, er, ing etc. ;D
Viz

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 08:43:14 PM »
Hi,
Just thought i would reresurrect an already recently resurrected topic...just to see if i could persuade Angeline to join in again..as it was her who started this topic originally....
Come on Angeline....[thats sounds like it could almost be a line from a song..with a little adjustment...]
 :angel: