Author Topic: Calling Dave!  (Read 6975 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Calling Dave!
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:20:07 AM »

Hello there, Dave ! How are things with our resident poet? We miss your input, you know. Call in if you have a moment. In the meantime, this is for you......

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
Re: Calling Dave!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
Hi Binkie,

Sorry, I haven't been terribly sociable lately -- had something of a mental quagmire for the whole of Canberra's extended winter, partly health-related and partly because I've had a case of writer's block that would make a constipated elephant look like it had the runs.  Chi has provided an escape valve, but I'm starting to think that I may need to find a local chapter of Chihuahua Anonymous to get back to work :).

Now that the weather is finally warming up I'm hoping that things are going to look a lot better.  I don't think I'm going to become much more communicative for a while, though, because I'm really struggling with the latest upgrade to Dragon NaturallySpeaking, the software that enables me to "type." the upgrades are necessary to keep up with changing software like browsers (I have switched to Firefox, in particular, which wasn't previously supported by the Dragon), but they always start out with quirks (aka bloody great bugs), and this one is a real doozy...

I'm not quite as depressed as this sounds, mind you -- not quite!

Cheers,

Dave

PS great cartoon -- have not had a lot about poets.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:06:38 PM »

It was good to hear from you anyway, Dave, even if your news wasn't entirely joyful.  Hope the health issues improve....both physical and mental, as the weather warms up. I'm definitely a summer person - takes me all my time to maintain a cheery outlook even in what we laughingly call a winter here in Queensland!
Keep on keeping on, and try California Syrup of Figs. No, wait....that's for physical constipation, or at least it was when I were lass, many eons ago. Could be worth a try, though.  :-\

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 01:43:03 AM »
Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you again!  Just thought I'd let you know that I wish I had your writer's blocks...since you always write so well even when it's just something silly!

I've always wondered just how "natural" it is to speak with dragon naturally speaking.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 02:11:05 AM »
Yes, mate -- we do miss your lyric contributions -- even if you think they're drivel, they're music to our less talented ears! Hang in there!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 05:42:14 AM »
It's always good to hear from you Dave....
Huge hugs are winging their way to you.... Oh! and a sloppy  :-*

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »
Good thoughts from me too Dave.  Uhh, what is dragon naturally speaking?  I've always had a soft spot for dragons.

rogue_mother

• Eulexic
  • I CAN'T BREATHE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 01:24:52 AM »
Dave, I'm with you about the mental quagmire during the winter months, though my quagmire also trends toward physical and spiritual, as well. My spirits always lift that moment in late January or early February when I notice that the days have started getting longer. I suspect that's why Candlemas and its predecessor festivals happen when they do (including Groundhog Day, birdy). Lately I have noticed that you are getting very good about achieving rosettes. Way to go!

Toni, Dragon Naturally Speaking is a computer program that enables Dave to use his computer via dictation rather than typing. Some while ago Dave was involved in an accident that rendered him quadriplegic, as I understand it.
Inside the Beltway, Washington, DC metropolitan area

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »
Thanks R-M!

Sorry Dave, that was a pretty good show of a fool rushing in...
 It must be of inestimable value to have a programme like that.

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes, guys -- I appreciate them.

R-M has it right, Toni.  Dragon NaturallySpeaking is now the only really good speech recognition program for PCs on the market, and I to rely upon it totally in order to write.  I was left paralysed (incomplete C5/C6 quadriplegia, to be precise) after unsuccessful surgery in 1992, when I was a relatively sprightly 42 years old, to correct a diabolical mess of arthritis in my cervical spine -- not quite a broken neck, but close enough.

I have some hand function but not enough to type any more, so the software has been a lifesaver, but a very frustrating one -- some people find it easy to work this way, and (very) theoretically it is possible to attain a typing speed of up to 140 words per minute, but I believe that most users would not wish it upon their worst enemies :).  I heard about one very good quadriplegic poet in the United States who got so fed up with it that he wound up using a mouth stick instead -- now that really is desperation, but occasionally I can understand it!

Cheers,

Dave
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne…

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
Dave, we haven't come across each other before but I was really sorry to read of your plight. I can't imagine how someone begins to cope with something like that.

I hope you continue to feel better as the weather improves.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
Hi Rogue Mother.
 Can you tell a dumb dragon how you get the rosettes? It must be written somewhere but it seems easier to ask, despite having to admit my ignorance.

I fear I will never achieve one  - no time for such distractions as word games, and I think i like to read the forum postings more!

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »
Smaug, the rosette is for finding all the "common" words (the words not in italics) in a puzzle.

Personally, I seldom get one, no matter how long I spend at it.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Makes sense - of course!
Thanks Alan

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
Hi Dave and everyone, I'm missing you all, but time is just about non-existent for me at the moment.

Dave, what a shit deal!  Seems to me amazing that you are still obviously a vibrant person.  Strength to you!