Author Topic: Political abuse  (Read 4342 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Political abuse
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:04:06 AM »
(Looks like Forum traffic has completely frozen up. Participants are fearful of advancing any comments in case they are never returned. It seems the only solution is for the administration to pump massive volumes of comments into the system, in the hope of restoring confidence and kick-starting the resumption of normal exchanges. This is a first installment.)

As you all know, an option was recently introduced to create puzzles that are free of certain words that some might find offensive. In reviewing lists of taboo words other people had already created for similar purposes, I found plenty of highly debatable cases. I didn't waste a lot of time pondering specific words, but pretty much banned everything that anyone else had banned. However, it might be of interest to look at some of the issues raised.

As I mentioned in other posts, a lot of the taboo words are not "dirty" words, in the usual sense, but terms of abuse related to race, ethnicity, religion, physical or mental disability, etc. An intriguing inclusion in this category was a handful of words related to people's political views.

Words removed from the Scrabble dictionary include comsymp and libber. Comsymp means "communist sympathizer", and libber is presumably from "women's libber". Another list of taboo words picked on commie and commy, as well as conchie and conchy. Presumably the latter two words are regarded as disparaging terms for conscientious objectors.

In considering these words, one thing that strikes me straight away is how dated they all are. Don't we have any current terms of political vilification?

In any case, I find it hard to imagine that anyone would consider any of these to be offensive words. Of course someone who was called a commie might be offended if they were not in fact a communist, but they would be just as offended to be called a "communist". The idea behind banning such words is that they are inherently offensive, even when - or especially when - applied to the class of people they were designed for. So would an avowed communist (if such a person exists these days) be offended by being called a commie? I doubt it. (Incidentally, commie was never used here in Australia. The preferred terms were com and, especially, commo.)

But even if someone does take offense at a disparaging word for their political beliefs, it seems to me to be a totally different situation from the use of ethnic slurs, etc. Condemning someone's politics in colourful terms should be regarded as a normal part of public debate.

(Another problem with proscribing conchie is that, in Australia at any rate, the word is normally used to mean simply "conscientious", or an excessively conscientious person. "You're a bit conchie, aren't you?" we will say disapprovingly to a workmate who seems to be devoting too much effort to their job. Maybe hard-working Australians feel vilified by this word.)

The Scrabble dictionary also expurgated the words jesuit, jesuitic and jesuitry. Presumably this relates to the meaning for jesuitic of "practicing casuistry or equivocation; using subtle or oversubtle reasoning; crafty; sly; intriguing." (Random House) This is an example of the pattern where a word is not offensive when used (with a capital letter) of a person to whom it literally applies - that is, a member of the Jesuit order. But when used with a lower case initial letter to indicate some undesirable type of behaviour, it can be offensive to the group to whom the word originally applied. Another example of this pattern is jew, used with the meaning "to cheat, to drive a hard bargain".

However, while I agree that jewed should be considered offensive if any words are offensive, I don't feel that way about jesuit and related words. The slur implied by these terms is not aimed at a whole religion, but at a particular organisation within the Catholic Church, and the way that organisation has been accused of conducting itself. It seems to me to be analogous to using disparaging language about a political party or business corporation. The disparagement may be valid or invalid, but it should be accepted as a normal part of robust public discourse.

Another issue with jesuit and related words is that the secondary meanings have been around for so long that awareness of the insult has probably faded. (Does a Welsh person feel offended when welsh, or welch is used to mean "renege on an agreement"? I don't know, but these words do appear on one list of offensive words.)

As evidence that the secondary senses of the jesuit-related words have lost much of their sting, consider this sentence from a speech given to the Law Institute of Victoria last year:

Let me now upset some from the Left by drawing not altogether Jesuitical distinctions between Nauru and Christmas Island when it comes to border protection and boat people.

The speaker was apparently using Jesuitical to mean "using subtle or oversubtle reasoning". Would this cause offense to Jesuits nowadays? Probably not, as the speaker was Father Frank Brennan SJ, a Jesuit priest and lawyer.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Political abuse
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »
And you're doing it with such a cheerful smile Alan  :)  I don't really find any of those words offensive.  Don't really use them so wouldn't think to use them in the puzzle.  To me, a conchie was the person in school who always came top of the class.  At 16, they weren't the 'cool' ones - a few decades later they're mostly the ones to be admired because they've achieved !!

The traffic on the forum does seem to have dried up a bit - I was hoping it was because regulars were just very busy at the moment.  Or could it be that they're just too busy stirring their cauldrons getting busy for Halloween?  It certainly is much more fun when there is light hearted banter to read and respond to - it is one of the things I enjoy about Chi and am always grateful to you for providing us the opportunity to be part of.

Keep up the good work.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »
... fear not, my pretties -- the hags are keeping a watchful eye ...  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
We certainly are ! You have to understand, my dears, that October the 31st being THE day in a hag's diary, there is so much to do! What with snaggling teeth, encouraging warts, fine-tuning broomsticks and deciding what to wear, there isn't a spare moment in the day.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »
Sorry, Alan, changing the subject a bit here but Binkie's mention of broomsticks reminded me of something. Many years ago I was doing a distance learning course in physics (simply because I was hopeless at it at school and decided to give myself a bit of a challenge). It was about this time of the year and I had to conduct an experiment to measure how far the earth is from the moon. The experiment involved glueing a penny to the end of a broomstick and pointing it at the moon. I can't remember the exact details but it was a case of measuring angles/lenth of broomstick/diameter of coin and so on.

The problem was that at the time the moon was visible only from the front of the house. So there was I, out in the front garden, pointing my broomstick at the moon... A group of people walked past and I'm sure I heard someone mention Hallowe'en. Or perhaps it was witch. Can't quite remember but I'm sure that if there had suddenly been a proliferation of toads in the neighbourhood I would have been to blame!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 10:16:04 AM »

That has given me the most glorious mental image, Pat !  :D

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 04:06:53 AM »
AWWW!!! Viral...
are you missing us???

I miss us too....but never fear...we are still here...[almost poetry!!] just a little quieter than usual...but i can remember when [and those were the days when men were men and ships were made of wood] that we oftentimes got our wrists slapped for jabbering too much...

It's not a conspiracy or anything...promise  :-*

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »
No, definitely not, for me anyway.  Just a huge lot to do and very little time in the day.  Evenings the computer is John's, and anyway I'm usually pooped.  I get home round about 7 most days and then have to feed animals and cook for us.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 07:11:53 AM »
Me too Toni...
I feed the animals then lock them back in the shed [after they've done their homework] and eat my dinner in peace....

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »
You're a girl after my own heart T!!