Author Topic: Paraprosdokian !  (Read 2335 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Paraprosdokian !
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:58 AM »

I am undoubtedly showing my ignorance, but until 2 minutes ago, I had never come across this word. I'm familiar with lots of examples of it, though!

"A paraprosdokian (from Greek "παρα-", meaning "beyond" and "προσδοκία", meaning "expectation") is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists."   (Wikipedia)

Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
Generally speaking, women are.
The car stopped on a dime, which unfortunately was in a pedestrian's pocket.

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: Paraprosdokian !
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:18:46 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh:

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 02:18:53 AM »
Thank goodness it's too long for me to have to remember for Chi!

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 04:03:20 AM »
This word has nothing whatsoever to do with  paraprosdokian.  It reminds me of an even longer word (which can obviously never be a Chihuahua word)—

dysdiadochokinesia

(dis´dīad´ōkōkinē´zh, -zē),

(from Greek dys "bad", dia "across", docho "receive", kinesia "movement")

n. a disturbance of musculoskeletal function. There is a disorganization in the reciprocal innervation of agonists and antagonists and a loss of the ability to stop one act in terms of rate, magnitude, and the direction of movement and immediately to follow it with another act diametrically opposite (e.g., alternately elevating and depressing the mandible). Another example is observed in the inappropriate use of the tongue during mastication when it is necessary to change, reverse, and modify the energy and direction of movement.

This is a word that I learned towards the end of my chiropractic education.  I recall it because it was so unusual.  I remember it in the context of a person being unable to rapidly supinate and then pronate the forearms—that is to rotate them outwards and then inwards.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:21:08 AM by Alonzo Quixote »