Author Topic: My mini disaster...  (Read 11338 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
Re: My mini disaster...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
Things could have been worse...if no one is hurt that's fine with me...

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »
My friends mother did the same thing - opened the garage door. drove in and kept going!
I have accidents like that all the time. The first day I drove work when I got my licence, in my lovely little 1970 Hilman Hunter that my dad bought me (called Bob) - I hit the pole in the car park. My friends mother witnessed the whole thing and I was mortified.
Some 30 years later, my son came home and having smashed the whole side of the car in  - when HE hit the pole he kept going!!
It is still there, a wopping big dent on all panels  passenger side. He asked me what we should do, and I just said, 'nothing mate , so long as you are all right'.  It even has a good spin - Now when I get dents in the car I dont worry - the more the merrier! Does get a little embarrassing at times though. I valet park at the airport when I am off to the country and they seem to make me wait interminably while all the BMW, Mercedes and other black cars are brought up. Then up comes my clapped up brum brum, with the dents (partially covered by grey primer that my father insisted on applying to stop rust ), and the squeaky brakes. Sigh. I did cringe a little I must say.
Why doesnt someone pinch the bloody thing for me!!!

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »
No problem Smaug, tell us where you'll park it and on what date - we can organise large floppy hats, dark glasses and help you out.  Only issue is, what will your insurance company pay out on it.  Could be that you'd be way out of pocket when it comes to actually replacing it!

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 07:28:07 PM »
Any insurance payout would more than cover its worth Geo!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
I used to work with a chap who was rather smug about his new company car, until he had a bump in it. The branch of the company he worked for was called Rom and it made steel bars. I wrote this for him:

A man in his brand new car
Drove into a Rom steel bar
It dented his fender
And altered his gender
And now he's a ma, not a pa.

He wasn't amused!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 01:15:36 AM »
Some people have no sense of humor  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
Which is so sad. And makes people like him perfect targets for jibes, which they often misunderstand.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 02:13:58 AM »
Actually, threeb, that's also one of the problems of chatting online. Or a potential problem at least. When you're talking face to face with someone, your body language often says as much as the words do. On here, or any online chat site, absent the body language words can often be misconstrued. Smileys can help remove any perceived slight, but I'm sure that sometimes offence is taken where none is intended.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 02:28:30 AM »
Excuse my hypersensitivity, then, pat. I truly love the repartee and exchanges we have here, but you're absolutely right -- so, this one's for you!

:-V

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 02:45:16 AM »
Bless you threeb. The various threads on this forum are hugely entertaining. Even with so few regular contributors it's obvious that the things we love and the things we hate are often worlds apart. I'm sure that as time goes by I'll probably inadvertently upset people since I'm a world class 'open my mouth and put my foot in it'-er. The diplomatic corps certainly didn't lose a star candidate when I failed to apply to join it!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 02:55:39 AM »
A woman after my own heart Pat...[warts and all-being of the hag persuasion..]  :-X

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 03:02:31 AM »
At last - a fellow hag who's on the same wavelength! 'Tell it like it is' has always been my motto. It's interesting that some people find that refreshing whereas others are uncomfortable with it.

smaug

• Paronomaniac
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »
I agree with you Pat - on line chatting is very difficult to get the subtleties (help - did I spell that right?) of human communication across
and its hard for me because I type so slowly and my brain is way ahead of my fingers!

I have spent my whole life trying to say the right thing and not offend people and tearing myself apart when I do and now I want the chance to speak my mind!

So thanks for listening folks!

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:14 PM »
Keep posting, smaug, especially if your comments continue to cause discussions. Wouldn't it be boring if we all politely agreed with one another and kept our real thoughts to ourselves?

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »
Indeed it would but disagreements and arguments are soooo tiring, I find!  A woman I work with is always regaling us with tales about how she has fallen out with someone or had to put someone in their place - this is because she is one of those people who take offence at the slightest thing and sees the world very much in black and white ... she's always right and if anyone disagrees with her opinion they are very much in the wrong!  Tooooo tiresome!  Anyway, I just know I'm always right .... goes without saying as I'm an uber Hag!!  >:D