Author Topic: My mini disaster...  (Read 11340 times)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
My mini disaster...
« on: September 13, 2008, 05:12:47 AM »
I had a mini disaster at work this week..

I appreciate in the wake of all the major worldwide disasters going on this is fairly minor, but i have noticed that other forumites have written about theirs in other spots [i.e. Cathartic and her b**d episode] ...so i thought we ought to have one just for our daily mishaps...

This is mine:

I am having to move workshops..so i was able to use the huge college van. Some students and i packed it up and i drove to our new 'house' [it's a huge house being leased for my dept to move in and do up]. After we had unloaded the van i drove out of the driveway - taking half of the wall with me 20 yards up the road. Huge chunks of wall were stuck under the van and the students had to crawl underneath to remove it. Others, and me, moved all the bricks that were lying all over the pavement. While doing this one of the lads crushed 2 of his fingers.

I had to tell all when i returned the van...expecting my P45 with a ticking off...but that was ok...

All i have to worry about now is a years worth of piss-taking about it from all my students and all the staff who have heard about it since....

What fun...

So how was your day?

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: My mini disaster...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:01:33 AM »
Well, Threeb is having a hurricane, and I'm trying to fill out Social Security forms, so I think we're right up there with you.

How embarassing!  However, this will give your students in the brick-laying classes extra opportunity to exercise their skills and get real-life experience, which can only stand them in good stead when they go to look for work.  Make sure you point out the advantages connected with the experience if you hear any criticism.

(signed, Dr. Pollyanna Spindoctor)

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:24:08 AM »
That was exactly what i suggested, and claimed i had done it for exactly that reason-not that any one believed that for a nanosecond!!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 07:54:19 AM »
There's just too much cynicism in the world today - I don't understand their reaction to a perfectly good explanation.  I'm sure you're responsible for training your students to cope with unexpected events - how good of you to involve yourself in an effort to raise educational standards!  And so unappreciated!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »
Ouch, oops and yowie! What an experience -- did nearly as much damage as the hurricane.

I'm sure in 50 years no one will remember a thing ...  >:D

misscreant

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
Poor T - you feel such an idiot, eh when that sort of thing happens, and it's always when other people are around to see it!! at least it wasn't too much damage - unlike when my Dad was learning to drive with my Husband & he drove the car right through the front room of our house!! Luckily, our daughter, who had been playing in that room, ran out just seconds before impact!!!
The experiences we have to tell our grandchildren!!!!   :)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »
T, your plausible explanation reminds me of a gag from a Goon Show episode (The Burning Embassy)

GRYTPYPE:
The government are testing people's reaction to sudden disaster.

SEAGOON:
They've been doing that ever since they got in.

Not sure which government they were talking about - the show was first broadcast in 1957 - but it could probably apply to many governments, in all countries.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:15:19 PM »
Love it Alan.  Yes, reckon it could apply to most governments - doesn't matter which decade!

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 04:55:08 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Ours, both now and before, certainly qualify!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 10:45:04 PM »
And certainly ours, especially the current one.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »
Has there ever been such a thing as a perfect government? A true Utopia?

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »
I doubt it.  I think that a really benevolent dictator would probably be quite good, but there aren't many of those around and power corrupts.  Plus, there's never an equally benevolent replacement waiting in the wings!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 12:16:14 AM »
Thanks for realising my ulterior [ and as Viral has pointed out 'plausible'] motive...i am so unappreciated at work...it has been suggested i have missed my calling as a demolition expert [they may be right].  :-\
The 2 girls who parked their car to sit, watch and laugh didn't help my cause to make folk think it was on purpose..

As to governments - just one who keeps their promises would be refreshing!!!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 12:18:03 AM »
Miscreant..your tale of woe was a storyline in 'Everybody loves Raymond'. Love that show..

misscreant

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:06 AM »
Really, T? Talk about life imitating art!! This happened in 1973, just after we had arrived in Australia & just moved into this brand-new duplex, we thought they would throw us out of the country, but the owner was really very nice about it, said his insurance would cover it!! Needless to say my Dad never got behind the wheel of a car ever again!! :-C