Author Topic: Which Dictionary?  (Read 19002 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Which Dictionary?
« on: February 16, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »
In Chihuahua you can click on a word to look it up at a dictionary Web site. We originally used OneLook, then changed to the Free Dictionary site. Not everyone was happy with the change, but there was no consensus about which dictionary we should use.

The full word list used in the game doesn't come with definitions, and a lot of its words are hard to find in any dictionary, so whatever site we link to, it will fall well short of showing a meaning for every Chihuahua word.

So, two questions: is there value in having a link to a dictionary site, and if so, which site do people prefer?

As well as the two mentioned above, some others are:

What are your thoughts?
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: Which Dictionary?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »
I would like to keep a link to a dictionary.  Sometimes I feel a bit guilty about spending time on Chihuahua when there are a million other things to do (usually not as much fun) and one of my justifications is that I am learning new words as I play.  The link to a dictionary helps me do this. I think it has always been the free dictionary in use since I started playing, but I am not real fussed about which one is used. :)
Gaye
   :)

mymermaid

• Lexicomane
  • Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 07:03:16 PM »
I agree with Gaye. I haven't used any of the other Dictionaries that you put in ... but I don't think I'd mind which one you use - so long as it opens quickly and gives a short definition of the word.
However, after looking at your "Onelook Dictionary" I can understand why you stopped using it :
The wildcard patten - is definitely a NO-NO ....

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »
Personally, I like the free dictionary link, and particularly enjoy the built in link it has to Wikipedia.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:02:29 AM »
The current dictionary is fine, except sometimes the game will accept acronyms occasionally, which is unexpected. I've found a few by accident. Is it that some acronyms can be acceptable words as well, or is it just happenstance? What's the difference?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »
The current dictionary is fine, except sometimes the game will accept acronyms occasionally, which is unexpected. I've found a few by accident. Is it that some acronyms can be acceptable words as well, or is it just happenstance? What's the difference?

If by "acronym" you mean a pronounceable word created from initial letters, like "laser" or "awol", then they are accepted, unless always written with capitals, like "NATO". But an abbeviation that is not normally pronounced as a word, like "rsvp", is not allowable, whether it is written with capitals or lower case letters.

Well, that's the current policy, but the actual list we use was compiled by other people, and may include some "words" that don't meet those conditions. If there are any specific examples that seem to be wrongly accepted (or wrongly rejected for that matter) I'd be happy to review them, B-B-B.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites