Author Topic: I remembered it !  (Read 13586 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
I remembered it !
« on: July 05, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »
Praise be ! I have not lost all of my little grey cells, after all. I actually remembered one of today's words from an earlier puzzle. Can't tell you which one, of course, but it means "A buff to gray windblown deposit of fine-grained, calcareous silt or clay" The reason I remembered it, I think, is that it was classed as common. I'd never heard of it before, and I still think it's a highly unusual common word !

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
Re: I remembered it !
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:27:32 PM »
Not a word I'm that familiar with either. Try clicking on the pronounciation on the Free Dictionary website, the English and USA are utterly different. The third generic option sounds the most logical to me.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »

I see what you mean about the pronounciation !  Glad I'm not the only one who's unfamiliar with it. Still, it'll come in handy if I'm ever deep in geological conversation........

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »
Another good word to slip into a conversation with a geologist is schist  ;) Don't you love the sound of schist? Which is flaky, layered stuff as opposed to the other which is crumbly.
Reminds me of my childhood when I read about kids sliding down hillsides on scree (Enid Blyton). It sounded like such fun. Then we went walking on Rangitoto which is our little volcanic island in the gulf just offshore of Auckland. Slipping on the scoria (another lovely word - geology sounds so romantic) scree was horrible - kept thinking I was about to twist my ankle.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »
If today's geological curiosity is considered common, I wonder whether schist, scoria and scree are  ???

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »

You've reminded me of a trip back to England, and to the Yorkshire Dales in particular. My brother and family were very keen to show me the Malham area (which is worth Googling!) After somehow scrambling up Gordale Scar (photo follows, I hope) we reached the famous limestone pavement. It poured with rain, naturally, and I don't think I'ver been so sure I was going to fall and break something. Extraordinary to look and, but hellish to walk over !

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »

Whodathunkit ? Here it is again....methinks there is a geologist somewhere choosing these 9-letter words !

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
Thanks Binks! That little reminder has enabled me to get a rosette in both standard and challenge puzzles today - a first for me Thanks again for the nudge XXX

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »

Woohoo! Glad to be of assistance. Hope I don't get into trouble for giving hints, though!

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »
I think such hints are allowable and ethical. If you look back up the thread, the word does not actually appear in type  :)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »

Phew ! ( Wipes sweating brow with trembling hand )

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »
 ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »

While you're here, Bobbi, how's everything ? I should tell you that I'm asking out of politeness, because I know that you're about to make me feel like a useless lump when you detail your amazingly busy, useful and productive life ! Still, as I tell myself, they also serve who only stand and wait. (Hmmm........that could be a good quotation, don't you think ?)

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
Since you ask, I'm being very naughty tonight Binks. Just got notification of my final result for 1st semester - an A, yay. That makes 3 A's and a B+.
So in honour of my A, I've opened a bottle of Mission Estate Winery Sauvignon Blanc. I'm sure to regret this tomorrow because I have an 8.00 a.m. lecture start to the day.
I have a little homework to complete before tomorrow, so will be here typing away for another hour. May not make that much sense die to the wine, but never mind.
It's still very cold. How are you?

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 08:06:20 PM »

Since you ask, Bobbi, I have just opened a bottle of port. I was extremely reluctant, naturally, but having read your results, I felt that I owed it to you to make the sacrifice.......cheers !