Author Topic: About my mother  (Read 11636 times)

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: About my mother
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 12:59:02 AM »
Oh, T -- she was so mean and thoughtless!

How hard that must have been for you ... I can't remember my mother saying anything like that to me as a child. Although, she was a strict disciplinarian.

Her biggest complaint was my messiness ... and that's not changed .. I'm still wrestling with that defect! I do love a clean room but just too lazy or tired (making up excuses) to just get it done. Hubby does help, though, and he doesn't seem to mind a few dust bunnies. I think he likes the company!  >:D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
I sometimes think it's sad people can't divorce their relatives.  I realize how lucky I was, especially with my mother.

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
Jeez T!  How the hell does one cope with that kind of "mother love"?  I would like to say I can't believe it, but sadly I have known other examples.  Darling girl, I just hope that somewhere in your life you have met up with a mother-figure who has given love.  Anyhow, you must be really proud of yourself.  So many people who have had that sort of unkindness carry on the same way in their own lives.  You obviously haven't!  I hope your mother is right out of your life now.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »
T - I cannot begin to imagine how it feels to have a mother who says such things. I can only hope ( and in fact I know ) that you have learned from that awful lesson to give you girls all the love and respect they deserve. Goodonya girl, for beating the system!!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 07:12:31 PM »
I'm reminded of my grandmother ( father's mother, whose stock reply was "Very nice....if you like that sort of thing " ) Talk about damning with faint praise !

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:42 PM »
I do check myself regularly to make sure i'm not going down that road.... and shoot me if i do someone ...PLEASE!!!!

She is brilliant with my girls though....completely different it's scary.
And generally we get on pretty well now- but that's because i don't let anything she says get to me now...

Her mother was the same to her, so i assume that's where it stemmed from -growing up as a refugee, a single, busy, mum of 4 under 7's, not able to communiacte terribly well in English....
Poor excuses i know...but therapy helped!!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »
I think it's always important to remember with people like that - it's not your problem, it's theirs!

It also helps to realize that the person has already proved on multiple occasions that her opinion has no validity, so why even bother thinking about it? - a variation on "Consider the source!"

And having said that, it's easier said than done - malice does hurt.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »

Just in case anyone is interested, and I really don't expect you to be, but my mother is home from hospital. According to my father and brothers she's extremely frail, and in a lot of pain, but when I talk to her on the phone she says "I'm just fine, dear - don't worry about me !" Oh, to be as self-effacing ! When I'm in pain, I make sure that everyone knows it, but I now realise that I'm nowhere near as far up the martyrdom ladder as Mum. A true martyr doesn't whinge, I believe !

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
It must be just awful being so far away from her Binkie. I hope she has access to adequate pain management resources. Being home and sleeping in one's own bed however is a comforting situation.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »

I think she's being carefully monitored, Bobbi, and having painkillers under supervision. You're quite right, though - being home again has made a big difference. It's rather an awkward situation, when one thinks about it....hospital is the best place to be for instant treatment, but home is where most people prefer to be, amd probably recuperate best.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »
I sure hope she gets better -- I forgot if you told us, but how old is she? Will she have someone at home to help look after her?

Being so far away must be v. frustrating -- same thing with my mum and me, we lived far apart for years, but when she got sick, I could hardly stand it. Trouble is, she'd try braving it alone, and then, when things fell apart, I'd get an emergency call and have to travel 1200 miles to help.

You're so much farther apart ... not nearly so easy for you...hang in there!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »
Glad things are improving Binx.....

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »
It must be nice to have a really good relationship with your parents, all you lucky people. Mine weren't bad parents but I never liked my father and had no respect for my mother. In fact they were a completely mismatched couple. Or perhaps they weren't - my father was king of the castle and my mother knew her place.

The main things I can remember my father telling me from when I was a girl were that I was cynical and had 'an unpleasant disposition'. I didn't know what cynical meant and I didn't know what disposition meant but I understood unpleasant well enough. Funnily enough, it never occurred to him to ask himself why a child might exhibit those traits. Might it have anything to do with such things as promising that child a bike if she passed her 11-plus and then, when she did, telling her that as the premises of her new school had moved to a mile away from where she lived she no longer needed one?

My mother, bless her cotton socks, was as thick as two short planks, not to put too fine a point on it. She once said something to me that literally made my jaw drop. She'd been slagging off my brother's wife and I dared to try and defend her in her absence. My mother said to me, "That's the trouble with you. You're always looking for the good in people." Surely something that most mothers would treasure in their offspring!

She has Alzheimer's now. Although she's still alive, she's long since gone. I suppose the only saving grace was that not being too intelligent, she didn't realize that the small things, such as putting her purse in the washing machine and swearing that someone had nicked it, were precursors of what is a truly horrible disease.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 11:14:18 PM »
How sad, pat! To watch a parent just fade away without a chance of making a connection as adults and perhaps gaining some insight on either side.

You sound like you've overcome so much, though -- it seems to have made you a truly caring person, made you stronger and yet more sensitive, and learned not to repeat their mistakes. Good for you, kiddo!

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 12:58:35 AM »
Yes - I think the most important lessons we learn from our parents' examples is what we don't want to imitate.  Or maybe those are the lessons we're most aware of.