Author Topic: About my mother  (Read 11635 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
About my mother
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:08:32 PM »
This is not posted in order to elicit sympathy, empathy, or any other reaction. I simply felt the need to make my feelings known.
My mother, who is 83, is in hospital. At this stage, we have no real idea about what is wrong with her. I won't go into unecessary medical detail- suffice it to say that she has had a number of problems in recent years. At any rate, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut diagnosis. Suddenly, I'm horribly aware that she may die, and quite soon. I don't mean that I expected my parents to last forever, but I suppose I put the thought of their mortality to the back of my mind. Being so far away certainly doesn't help. It's not often that I regret moving to Australia, but at the moment, I do. Phone calls and letters are fine, but in situations such as this, the distance seems horrendous. Although I'm 62, I feel like a little girl when I think of my mother. We have always been very close, and she has been an inspiration and a role model for me all my life.

She is a woman of her generation....brought up to be a good wife and mother; to put others first, but she bucked the system when we 3 children were old enough. She and a friend enrolled in pottery classes. I remember, to my shame, how we teased her about the lumpy ashtrays she would bring home. From the first day, she showed an amazing talent for pottery. Before long, there was a potter's wheel installed in the garage. Her glorious pots were taken to art school for firing, until demand for them from friends and family instigated a move to their present home - a 17th century cottage with a barn that was transformed into a professional pottery with kiln etc. For many years, she and my father worked together ( he retired from British Airways, as was ) with Mum doing the potting, and Dad glazing and firing the finished product. We were (and are) so proud of her...going from a "just mum" to a highly regarded artist.
It's some time since she was able to pot - years of working at the wheel left her with serious neck and back problems, but she has always been extraordinarily upbeat and optimistic. She's one of those people who would cheerfully assure you that she was fine, even when in agony. Maybe that makes her sound like a pre-feminist martyr, or a slave to her time, but to me she is a shining example of what people ought to be, but so often are not.
If you've read all the way through this, then I thank you, my forumates, for letting me ramble !

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: About my mother
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »
That is remarkable, and a very touching insightful retrospective, binkie.

What makes it even more so, is that my mum was much the same. We were also separated by space and time, and I found that very frustrating, esp. since she was widowed in 1973, and my husband and I, with our first baby, moved away a year later.

My mother's creative/self-affirming burst began when I was about 10-11, that she went off to Woodstock one summer, to a painting retreat. I found out she was studying under a world-class artist (painter and sculptor) and eventually, when she started really coming into her own, created some of the most wonderful works with oils, bronze and wood. Much of it was abstract works, too, which took a bit of thinking on my part to understand what she was trying to achieve.

I remember seeing/hearing her toiling away ... the smell of turpentine jars where brushes were soaking, the pounding of hammers and chisels, and the clay models. She'd come out looking exhausted after a day's work, and when I finally would see a finished product, I was amazed.

My dad always saw to it that they were properly framed, mounted or cast. It must have cost a fortune.

Once he became very ill, she was forced to stop and had to work. It pretty much put an end to her art production. In later years, long after he died, I encouraged her to resume. While her health allowed, she actually did, and created some beautiful pieces, very bright, mostly flowers, which she always loved.

She passed away 4 years ago ... I proudly display her works in my home, and always get a lump in my throat as I see them ... bittersweet reminders of her lasting legacy.

Binks -- just stay in touch with her ... whether you're there in spirit or body, let her know you love her as much as you can. And, whatever may or may not have come between you in the past, let it go. It heals the spirit wonderfully!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:34:08 PM by biggerbirdbrain »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »
Very touching tributes both and I hope your mother makes a full recovery Binks. 

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »
Hi Binkie,

I can identify so well with your feelings, Binkie.  My mother was a stoic too - never complained about her health (except after a long day digging in the garden or sifting and moving compost around in her 80s - "It nearly killed me!" - but she'd keep doing it even when I told her, "Let us do it - that's what kids are for!").  Her illness led to strong feelings of vulnerability in me - what was I going to do without her?  I needed my mommy!  I remember saying to myself after she died, "I'm an orphan" - which is a pretty silly thing to feel at the age of 58.  But that mother/child bond - there's just no one who you love/who loves you like that.

My mother had no artistic creativity, was a barely adequate cook - salt was about the only herb/spice she used (though she was good at baking), was not good at self-promotion and was shy and embarassed by any open expression of emotion, except with little children.  But she was the best at supporting her children in whatever they wanted to do.  She went back to work when my younger brother entered kindergarten, in spite of her shyness which I'm sure made the job application process agony, to start saving for our college funds.  She was an excellent mother-in-law - she always pitched in with practical help and never offered advice unless they asked for it.

I still miss her, especially being able to phone her and tell her the latest news.  But the memories are a great comfort.

I hope it all works out for the best, Binkie, whatever that best is.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 04:51:11 AM »
Oh Binx....
I wish she had been my Mum, and yours too threeb.....

I would  love a mum like that, you are so lucky.
Whatever happens Binx you can sleep at night knowing that she loved you, and you her, and there is nothing else you can do.

I know you don't believe, but i will say a prayer...it may not help at all, but you will know i'm thinking of you both.

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 05:28:51 AM »
Keeping you and your mother in my thoughts and prayers, Binkie. Lets hope that they can find out what is wrong and quickly so that treatment can start and hopefully give her some more time with you all. xx

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 07:41:08 AM »

Thank you all for your replies. Even if I didn't expect any, it's very comforting to read them. All I want to add is that Mum and I have always had a close and loving relationship. She knows how much she's loved.
 T, dear, I had forgotten about your relationship with your mother - I hope I didn't  reopen old wounds.

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:10:52 PM »
Both you and your mum are in my thoughts Binkie. I am so envious.
Never really got on that well with my mum. She travelled heaps, and was always farming me out so she could take off somewhere else. She was away so much that she never got to support me or see events that were personal milestones for me (first singing solo at school soncert, first singing solo in the cathedral, that sort of thing.) She's still around, and we talk occasionally. Just hope my relationship with my girls is better.

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »

Bobbi, I'm so sorry that you and your mum haven't enjoyed a better relationship. I can't imagine what my life would have been like if my mother and I hadn't been so close. It makes me realise how lucky I've been, and still am. I'm absolutely sure that your relationship with your girls is a great one, from all you've told us.  Being a parent ain't easy, though !

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »
Sometimes we can learn from our own parents not only what to do, then also, what NOT to do.

It's so sad when parents don't place any importance on their children's achievements -- it must leave a hole somewhere in the heart. And maybe, it creates overachievers like you, who think they can never do enough, because though you're always striving and straining to be the best you can be, no matter how hard you try, you can never get her approval or affirmation.

You can only please yourself, bobbi -- sometimes, that is the best you can do.

I'm sure, though, that it is a lesson you've learned well, and have resolved not to repeat the same mistake with your own children.

perdita

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:25:45 PM »
I remember as  a small child of 10 years, crying bitterly when my father had his 40th birthday.. i thought he was SO OLD that he would die soon and leave me fatherless!
My parents are now in their early 80's and I dread the day when the phone call comes to tell me the sad news.
Like many of you here, I live thousands of miles away from my parents.. and reading through these posts has made me realise that I don't appreciate them as much as I should. They were always resourceful and supportive in their own way.. Dad the silent rock that could be depended upon no matter what.. and Mum always coming up with a solution to make things right. Both extremely talented and bright people despite not having much of a formal education and having to start afresh as migrants after the war.

This is definitely a message for me to call them tomorrow.

Binkie, I hope your Mum  comes away from her hospital visit with flying colours.

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
Binx, it's fine...
I know where i am with her, and most of the time we get on ok...as long as she treats the girls differently i don't care about me...

And Bobbi, like me you know in your heart you will never have that kind of Mother/daughter relationship with yours....
I know i won't, and Birdy could probably testify to that...

bobbi

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
Unfortunately, my mum burned her bridges with my girls too. Only takes a couple of tactless comments to a child. She insisted on calling my younger one "chubby chops". Not very flattering. The kid wasn't exactly sylphlike, but at that point she was excelling in artistic gymnastics, had just been chosen to represent her country at a gymnastrada in Uppsala, and was solid muscle. She was training about 4 hours a day after school and eating amounts to replace burned calories. My mum couldn't get over how much she was eating, and had plenty to say on the subject, all of it critical and mean. Alienated her younger granddaughter for ever and a day, silly goose.

Unfortunately for her, she also had a very hard act to follow because my mum-in-law is just perfect! My girls can't stand "Gran" but simply adore their "Nana". Milly is almost 92. See attached pic taken three weeks ago when she flopped down on the floor next to daughter #1 who was lighting us a fire. Not only the kindest and most unjudgemental person I have ever met, Milly is also incredibly supple! She taught yoga for many years, and I'm starting classes next month!

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »
Oh Binkie, I have just seen this thread.  My heart is with you girl.  I was also lucky enough to have a mother who was lovely.  She was my best friend as well as mum.  I lived nearby, saw her several times a week and still we chatted on the phone at least once a day.  She died after a long illness 26 years ago, just after my John was born.  Obviously the loss gets easier to bear as time goes by, but the pain never goes away.  Like Threeb's mum, mine was an artist, a mosaicist, and I have reminders of her all over my home.

Keep courage girl!

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »
There are several very hurtful things that my mum has said to me..that have stuck like sh*t to a shoe; These 3 are the ones that hurt the most....

She once told me she didn't think i was ever her friend...

Then when i lost my son, she said it was probably for the best because she wouldn't have wanted a handicapped child in the family...

...and then when i had the girls [she was there with my hubby when i had my caesarian]..she said she didn't understand why we gave the least beautiful baby the worse name....

It is a shame Bobbi....i know how you feel....

But i do love nice stories....

I think it's why i always wanted to be a Walton or an Ingles girl....