Author Topic: Calling Dave ..........  (Read 10938 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Calling Dave ..........
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:42 AM »
How are you these days, Dave ? Hope all is well, and that you can find the time to pop in to the forum again. In the meantime, these are for you.....

Dave

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
    • Dave's Poetry Pages
Re: Calling Dave ..........
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »
Hi Binks,

Sorry, I have not been very communicative with anybody lately -- the pile of e-mails in my inbox to which I haven't yet responded is starting to bear a certain resemblance to a queue for tickets for the Sex and the City movie, in length if not in glamour!

I have some health issues and a monumental case of writer's block -- it's not a good combination (bloody depressing, in fact).  I'm trying to do something about it by arranging a six-month tutorial period online with a good American poet to get me out of the doldrums -- not cheap, but could be the best investment I've made.

Hey, I liked the pictures -- I think that's about the first time I've seen a poet-centred cartoon.  Very creative!

Cheers,

Dave

PS some VERY light verse is about all I have written recently:

Pasta Is Faster

Can yards of steaming vermicelli
really fill the empty belly?

Our chef's all smiles, extremely cocky;
great Gordon Ramsay praised his gnocchi!

The poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti
could not abide hard-boiled spaghetti.

Luciano, weighty feller,
overdid the tagliatelle.

Spice It Up

You want to add a pound of chili?
Respect your guts and don't be silly!

Don't overdo the fenugreek:
you'll send your curries up the creek.

If garlic seems like oral bliss,
your love may die upon a kiss.

Meditative

When munching on a fresh terrine
one tends to feel one's most serene.
Indeed, it's hard to maintain spleen,
let alone mouth words obscene
or hanker after Miss Spring Queen,
of whom one's had some thoughts unclean,
while munching on a fresh terrine.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerneā€¦

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having health issues.  Hope it all sorts out soon.  Loved the amusing food poems.    Keep it up mate. 

p.s.  Did you mention Sex and the City!!!  Can't wait.  Am booked into a small boutique cinema here in Brisbane to see it a couple of weeks after release.  Am taking my 24 year old niece to lunch and then the movie on my birthday.    Thought that would be a nice way to spend the day considering the only sibling I have living close by will be strutting around New York at that time!  Inconsiderate really  :-R

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:58:30 PM »
Hail, Hail, Dave -- O wunderbard!

Here's hoping your health improves ... I offer thee a toast, then -- chin-chin!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
Zut alors! I say to myself.... zis is no good........mon cher Dave,  'e is feeling - 'ow you say ? -down in ze dumplings.
 Courage, mon brave!
I 'ave ze idea splendide. I will come to you wiz  ze strawberries et la creme, and a bottle of champagne incroyable. Togezer, we will 'ave beaucoup de good times, non ?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:51:48 AM by Binkie »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Wot is wiz zee accent Binkie boo?  'Ave you bin wotching zee repeats of 'Allo 'Allo?  Good moaning!  >:D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »
Eh bien, most belle Linda. 'Ave you not known zat I was la Parisienne ? But naturellement !
Oh all right, dammit, so I'm not French after all. Couldn't you leave me just a few of my illusions ? Besides, the thought of a 62 year old Aussie with an armful of meatpies and a bottle of Passion Pop isn't exactly going to fill Dave with bliss, is it ??

greenone

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »
You're dead right there Binks!  Do they actually still sell Passion Pop at any self-respecting Liquor Store???

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »
Aha! You gave yourself away, there, Greenone! In actual fact I've never dared to enquire. The mere name makes me feel nauseous. (Non-Aussies may well have guessed that Passion Pop was a singularly cheap and disgusting alcoholic beverage much loved by the strapped-for-cash-but-need-booze-brigade.)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:23:40 PM »
Passion Pop?   I do not underztand zis term .... iz eet ze Aussie plonk?

Quelle domage .... you 'ave answered my question before I posted zis massage!!  Eet sounds tres disgusting!  >:D

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
Sounds first cousin to our "pap saks"  which literally translates as "floppy packets".  They are like the inside of boxed wine (do you guys get boxed wine?)  I have an idea they have been banned here as we have a big enough problem with vagrancy and alcohol without making it dirt cheap.  Actually, quite good wine is pretty cheap here anyway.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
We have Mogen David wine and Thunderbird ... Annie Greensprings (I think it's the name) was another. Hey, anybody who buys wine by the box is also truly a desperate soul!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »
Yikes!!  Wine boxes are very popular over here, mate!  We tend to buy them just for Christmas ... make do with copious bottles for the rest of the year!!  >:D

Toni

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
We all buy boxes here.  They're cheaper than bottles and, while some are cheap and nasty, others are pretty good.  I'm a red wine drinker and I buy a pretty good Merlot or a Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend that sell at around R50.00 for 5 liters.  Our Rand is about R14.60 to the British Pound at the moment, so thats well under 5 pounds.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »
Sounds pretty good to me ... though I am a white wine drinker ... mmmm Chablis!!  >:D