Author Topic: new word suggestion  (Read 9455 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
new word suggestion
« on: May 01, 2007, 06:51:20 PM »
Alan - is there any reason we can't have 'swottier'?  A word that has never been applied to myself!!!

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: new word suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »
I have to admit to bitter disappointment when "dalek" was rejected!!!!!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 07:23:17 PM »
Binkie - I deal with bitter diappointment every time I play this game!  Why, oh why, can I not get all the common words?  More coffee needed to revitalise the grey matter!

Dean

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 10:56:17 AM »
I have to ask ... Dalek I recognize (almost embarrassed to admit it :D) ... but Swottier???  I'm hoping I can put this down as North American ignorance of slang terms!!

sassie11

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »
MMMM swottier.............some one who swots more then others????.........I could be wrong  :-\

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 12:40:13 PM »
Linda, I think "swottier" should be allowed, not to mention "swotty" and even "swottiest". (Of course it might be a long time before the letters come up again for any of these, especially the 9-letter "swottiest".)

For the benefit of Dean and other North Americans, to swot means to study very hard, and a swot is someone who studies very hard. It's a colloquialism from Britain, but also used in Australia and no doubt other countries. When a person is called a swot it often has a rather negative connotation - "Witherspoon Minor is a beastly swot!", sort of thing.

So "swotty" can mean very studious, or it could be used of a course of study or a school whose students are obliged to study very hard. And "swottier" is the same but more so. An example from someone's blog: "Other kids did: the ones who were geekier and swottier than me. They went to university and got themselves qualifications in abundance."
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »
I didn't think "dalek" could possibly qualify, but to my surprise, one of the few dictionaries that includes the word, Encarta, actually gives the all-lower-case form as an alternative spelling. And Wiktionary gives an example where someone wrote it that way when using it metaphorically - "croak-voiced daleks", referring to BBC managers. The only other place where I found the word being used with a little D was the Cut Out + Keep project, the Dalek Cupcake Army.

So, given the sentimental attachment some forum-ites seem to have for these loud-mouthed beings, I suppose I'd better add the word.
Alan Walker

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »
Alan - thanks for allowing swottier etc.  I'm sure I'll miss it next time it occurs!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 09:34:54 PM »
Yes, thanks for swottier (once I learned its meaning) and thanks, too, for NOT "exterminating"  ;D the old sentimental crowd favorite, dalek!

By the by, when will we have another updated word list? They're starting to rack up again!

Cheers,
3-B

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »
By the by, when will we have another updated word list? They're starting to rack up again!

You're right! There are 12 by my count.

I've just added these new words. They're listed on the New Word List page. Please, everyone, let me know if I've missed any.
Alan Walker

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 07:17:33 PM »
Anonsi, I can't find "bathen" in any dictionary. Nor can I find any evidence of its use. Are you sure it's not a very local (i.e. within your family!) variant of "bathed"?
Alan Walker