Author Topic: When does rare become obscure?  (Read 4078 times)

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
When does rare become obscure?
« on: April 29, 2007, 07:20:53 AM »
Hi Alan,
            How obscure does a word have to be in order to be rejected? I ask because I discovered "phyma" (A tubercle on any part of the body....Websters 1913) only to have it knocked back on Friday. Saturday's puzzle, however, allowed "fleam" (a sharp instrument for opening veins....Websters 1913 )
Please don't think I'm carping.....I'm just curious !   I'm having the time of my life with these daily mental wrestling matches !   :D :D :D

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When does rare become obscure?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »
Hi Binkie

I must agree the two words you mention seem to be about equally obscure. Needless to say, I hadn't heard of either of them. But they appear in a few dictionaries, not just the 1913 Webster's, and it appears they are both occasionally used - mainly in medical writings - so they seem like fairly good candidates for our list.

The vast majority of our "rare" words are from a list prepared by somebody else, so I can't explain why some words are in and others out. But whenever a word is suggested, I'll add it if a reasonable case can be made out for it. The more the merrier!

So I'll add "phyma", and its alternate plural "phymata" for good measure.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: When does rare become obscure?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 04:57:52 PM »
Thankyou, Alan! Of course, that particular opportunity may never arise again. Nor am I likely to have the chance to slip either word into casual conversation.....but you never know!   :D