Author Topic: craps should be legit, I believe  (Read 18158 times)

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: craps should be legit, I believe
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »
 To quote T   
"If the word has a completely different meaning by adding an 's', it is, surely, a completely different word so should be allowed in on it's own merits!"   
I totally agree....

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »
What a very sensible, and very nice, lady you are Jane. You can be my bestest fwend today... :-R

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
I'd be a happy man if just one person would agree with me that it's a complicated question, with no simple, formulaic solutions.

Threeb says:

Why should the fact that adding an "s" legitimately and completely changes the meaning of a word keep it from being added?

And T says:

If the word has a completely different meaning by adding an 's', it is, surely, a completely different word so should be allowed in on it's own merits!!

But taking these pronouncements as absolute rules would seem to mean we should also allow words (meaning angry talk), bats (crazy), bones (a percussion instrument), falls (a waterfall) and links (a golf course). And here are some others:

• taps (a military signal)
  • talks (a meeting)
  • stripes (an indication of military rank)
  • strings (a section of an orchestra)
  • hearts (a card game)
  • elements (the weather)
  • effects (possessions)
  • crackers (crazy)
  • buns (buttocks)
  • bowls (a game)
  • tails (a type of coat)
  • scrubs (a surgical gown)
  • guts (courage)
  • duds (clothes)

But every one of these has the potential to cause bewilderment among players. Especially among the ninety percent of players who never look at the forum. (I just made this statistic up, but I imagine the percentage is something like that.) But I'm sure that if all those words, plus a number of others like them, were admitted to the word list, it wouldn't be just non-forumites who were confused. Before long people would be posting to the forum along the lines of "Why can't I have cups when bowls was allowed the other day?"

So what is the solution? In my view, we need to take account of how commonly used various senses of a word are. When someone sees the word blues, they most likely think of the music or the mood, neither of which has a singular form. However, when someone sees the word tails, they probably think of animals' appendages, which have the singular tail, rather than Fred Astaire's coat, which doesn't.

Going by this criterion, craps should probably be allowed, not just because it's a different word from the word meaning "defecates", but also because the gambling game is so well-known that most people would quickly think of it as at least one of the possible meanings of the word. But I'm not so sure about trunks, for instance.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »
Alan, I'm just happy we were able to solve just this one word, and thanks so much -- although it did take a long time, I appreciate your infinite painstaking patience. Infinitely.  :angel:

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »
Patience personified....
That's you Viral...

I would have given up yonks ago -in fact i wouldn't have started!!

I wish i could help you...Threeb is thrilled at her craps being allowed, i only wanted my pants!! What can i tell you.

I think you should make a final decision, and soon, and stick to your guns-because us girlies will prevaricate for ever and a day about this one, me thinks...

And then -JUST SAY NO!!!

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »
I agree, GAGL --

PLEASE, PLEASE, let T have her pants!!! Do we really want her to go unpantsed??? That would be shocking, humiliating and certainly uncomfortable in the middle of winter!!!

I concur that it is truly legit as well. To pant is certainly a completely different usage from pants the garment!