Author Topic: Same Words in Standard and Challenge Puzzles  (Read 5977 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Same Words in Standard and Challenge Puzzles
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
From time to time, players have complained about days when the same words can be made in both the daily puzzles, and the dangers of leaving words out because you think you've already played them. For example, in the topic It's a conspiracy, I tell you! a correspondent wrote:

Dear Sir,

I note with concern that, yet again, the Standard and the Challenge puzzles contain  several of the same letters. As one who attempts both puzzles, and as one who has problems chewing gum and thinking at the same time, I find this Confusing and Infuriating. Is it a plot ? Are subversive influences at work here? Am I the only one who constantly forgets which word I am looking for?     I suppose the rest of the Chi-ers sail through with nary a backward glance, but I remain, Sir,

Troubled of Tunbridge Wells.

Since there have been two daily puzzles, there have been words in common on about one day in five. On most of these days, there have been only a handful of repeated words, but there have been occasions when a substantial overlap occurred. (The most extreme case was 30 August 2006, when there were 8 common letters. On that day there were 73 words common to the two puzzles.)

Since most regular players seem to play both puzzles, this has probably been an annoyance to quite a few people, so I've adjusted the system for creating daily puzzles to make common words less likely. It will still happen - I don't want to take all the excitement out of life - but much less frequently.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Gaye

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
Re: Same Words in Standard and Challenge Puzzles
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:13:02 PM »
Thanks Alan - as usual you have come up with a good compromise.
Gaye
   :)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 07:01:36 PM »
I would just like to add my thanks, too, Alan .... am v. impressed that my name appears in today's Standard puzzle ... makes a change from tech, techi and techno! ... though I'm not too happy that an anagram of the word is 'Linda's Big'!!!  ???

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 07:44:42 PM »
Dear Sir,
           I should like, if I may, to raise the subject of objectionable words which are to be found quite regularly in your puzzles. Many obscene and filthy nouns and verbs are there to be discovered by anyone who chooses. For the last few days, however, I have been entirely unable to find a single one. This is simply not good enough. I expect the situation to be remedied forthwith.

I am, Sir,

Disgusted of Daghenham.

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:51:35 PM »
Well -- there is ONE word in your signature, Binks, that's quite good, though -- HAG!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:55:57 PM »
To my cHAGrin there aren't enough hag words in the puzzles!  >:D

Binkie

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
Trying desperately to come up with witchy witticisms and failing dismally............

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 08:13:59 PM »
too busy looking at eclipse to think about it ..... although, I do believe, I saw a haggish form float slowly across the face of the moon moments ago -- I think she waved at me!!!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:17:44 PM »
Was she HAGgard?  >:D

biggerbirdbrain

• WordStar
  • Texas
    • View Profile