Author Topic: The importance of arranging the letters  (Read 1510 times)

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
The importance of arranging the letters
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »
I wonder how much thought goes into arranging the letters of each puzzle when you first see it. Where each one is placed etc. I know some puzzles you look at and straight away you think of a million words whilst others draw blanks almost instantly.
Does Alan (or someone) look at each one and place each letter so it's harder or trickier for the player?
I know being able to shuffle the letters is a big help (one I only found out from my sister-in-law Doxydaisy) and that is great, but I think the initial placing of the letters certainly puts ideas in my mind that I can sometimes find hard to shake and it colours my train of thought.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The importance of arranging the letters
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »
My philosophy is to leave things to chance wherever possible, and that's what happens with the arrangement of the letters. The letter that has to be used in every word is in the middle of course, but the other letters are placed at random.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

markm

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
Can I suggest another button? We already have Shuffle which I rarely use but some might so rather than change its function another button perhaps called 'Mix'. Its job is to rearrange all but the central letter in the puzzle letters. This might help us find those pesky words that we see one day but miss completely on other occasions.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »
Great idea!
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 10:02:53 PM »
If you want to rearrange the letters enter a few with the key letter and use the shuffle key..it often helps me spot missed words

Dragonman
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Katzmeow

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »
I like the idea of a 'rearrange' key too, somehow it does something that 'shuffle' doesn't

Personally, I have to write the letters down into a square (as you see in similar newspaper puzzles).  After finding as many words as I can, I write the letters down as shown in my square from side to side, then again up & down.  It often helps me find a few more words.

If I do bother entering my words into the online puzzle, I sometimes use the shuffle function with a few letters at a time.  I would definitely use a rearrange function.
My truth may not be your truth.  That makes neither of us right or wrong, only different.