Author Topic: problems with scoreboard - current Challenge game  (Read 3114 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
problems with scoreboard - current Challenge game
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »
Everything seems to be 'tickety-boo' at the moment, but there were definitely some odd goings-on with the scoreboard last night,
I normally play all games on full screen with the scoreboard showing 'common words only'.
At one point I was 12 short of the target (68 from 80) and, I think, third from top.
Next time I looked my score was shown as 32 and I was halfway down the list.
Then the scoreboard vanished completely, along with the 'Forum Latest' board.
Everything seemed to be back to normal after about 10-15 minutes.
When I added another word. however, the scoreboard didn't update.

Weirdest of all, when I played the final word, I got a rosette which then disappeared, then reappeared and then vanished again.

Never mind - I suspect Chi and his pals who run the scoreboard had been celebrating ANZAC day to the full.
It all seems to be back to normal again.

I thought at first it might be my computer and my ISP at fault, but I see that Pat has also left a comment in the Challenge Chinwag.

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
Re: problems with scoreboard - current Challenge game
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
I also noticed these anomalies as mentioned. 

Ordinarily, everything proceeds as "smooth as silk".  It has only been a very few times in the years when the scoreboard and the Forum have gone a bit "ka-flooey".  It is a testament to how carefully Alan Walker has maintained things.  Whenever there has been an moment of odd functioning, things are brought back to normal very quickly.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
Thanks for letting me know about that. I didn't actually know there'd been any problems with Chi until I read these posts. It seems like there was a general problem for a while on the lexigame.com site, affecting Chi and the forum. Everything appears to be back to normal now.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
The www.chihuahua-puzzle.com site was also affected.  Chi seemed to be normal but the forum was missing.  I noticed this a bit before 0500 AEST.  It was all working normally by 0600.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 05:05:43 AM »
I also had a bit of a problem yesterday evening but it was short lived.  After a few attempts I managed to sign in but it took about half an hour before the forum suddenly popped up!
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »
And the forum had a hiccup a minute ago...

(but I was firing; the only one with the 10 letter word!)

Les303

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »
G'day Pen,

I can easily explain why you & other players have been having these recent problems.

I have been away for the last couple of days & only arrived back home late this afternoon so during that period I have played no chi at all & had no participation in the forum.
My brief absence has understandably thrown both chi & the forum into a bit of a meltdown, my only concern is how it managed to overcome such a dilema so quickly & before I had logged back in to restore normality?

Seriously though,  Thursday was the 12 month " anniversary " of my Mother's passing.
She is buried in Dalby where her mother & first husband are also buried.
There were lenghty delays in organising the plaque for her gravesite, so a lot of friends & family had never seen the plaque. ( other than in pictures )
Needless to say it was a very emotional day as all the family & friends gathered together to reflect on the last 12 months which seem to have passed so quickly.

Regards Les

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 08:31:24 AM »
"Anniversaries" bring up a lot of emotions, don't they, Les?  Though it must have brought up a lot of the sad memories, I hope that with all of you there together, there were lots of thoughts of the happier days too.

Les303

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
Thankyou birdy,

Yes, there were a few tears at the cemetery but at the restauraunt that night the mood was very relaxed & there was much laughter as individuals related their favourite " mother " stories with the majority of the party continuing the  " celebrations " into the ealy hours of the morning.

Sincerely Les.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 05:19:16 AM »

My brief absence has understandably thrown both chi & the forum into a bit of a meltdown, my only concern is how it managed to overcome such a dilema so quickly & before I had logged back in to restore normality?

Seriously though,  Thursday was the 12 month " anniversary " of my Mother's passing.

G'day Les
I'm very glad you've quickly resolved the problem with the scoreboard & the forum.  We might have guessed you were responsible >:D
I can only repeat what Birdy said.  Anniversaries do bring lots of emotions.  Some very sad &, as time passes, some happier.
I'm pleased to read you enjoyed an evening of reminiscences about your Mum in the restaurant later in the day.
Mind how you go
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »
I've noticed some interesting scoreboard hiccups of my own. The first being that sometimes, when it malfunctions, it locks the entire site. It even kills off mouse wheel scrolling of the web page until it wakes up.

Another anomaly is the appearance of the low scores (1, 2, 3 etc) above the high scores. Which tends to happen when it's in 'gridlock' mode.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...