Author Topic: Possible spoiler, standard puzzle Feb 10th  (Read 2319 times)

Matilda

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Possible spoiler, standard puzzle Feb 10th
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
Riming (and rime while I'm at it). I'm the first to admit I am not particularly well read but I have never heard frost referred to as rime either in England (where it is much more common) or here in Oz. Neither have I heard the process of depositing frost referred to as riming.
Alan, does this word merit reassignment to rare?
Just keep swimming, swimming...or cycling, walking, dancing and singing!

Calilasseia

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Pass the dissection kit ...
    • View Profile
Re: Possible spoiler, standard puzzle Feb 10th
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is Coleridge's longest poem. It's from this poem that "an albatross around one's neck" is derived. Consequently, with a cultural reference of this significance attached thereto, not to mention the poem being inflicted upon many here in the UK in English Literature classes, rime is pretty well known here.
Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:57:58 AM »
Consequently, with a cultural reference of this significance attached thereto, not to mention the poem being inflicted upon many here in the UK in English Literature classes, rime is pretty well known here.

Inflicted on me in first year of high school.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
It's actually not a bad story; lots of supernatural elements; perhaps Netflix or one of the others could use it as a basis for a miniseries.
 ;D

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
Aside from the Coleridge poem, I'd seen "rime" mainly in other literary works, like Thomas Hood's "Frost is the greatest artist in our clime - he paints in nature and describes in rime."

Out of curiosity, I looked up the difference between "hoar frost" and "rime frost"  and found a site with some really pretty pictures:

https://www.summitpost.org/rime-frost/188275

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »
Matilda, you would have got a much quicker response to your suggestion if you hadn't thrown in the phrase "(and rime while I'm at it)". I've no doubt that riming should be classed as rare - and rimed too. But rime is not so clear cut. Firstly because rime in the frost sense is used more often as a noun than as a verb. And rimed is not used very often either, whether as a verb or an adjective. But also because, as people have pointed out, rime is an older spelling of rhyme, and is fairly well known because of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner".

For some reason, Coleridge's original spelling of rime is still being used, but not the other apparently archaic spelling in his original title: "The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere". There are a few archaic words we treat as common because people are very likely to be familiar with them. Examples are thee and thine, which are regularly encountered in old books and historical fiction and movies. But I wouldn't put too much weight on the effect of a single poem.

In recent publications, most of the uses of the word rime were as the name of a video game - for all I know this may be familiar to more people than Coleridge's poem. But in any case, I think it's safe to say that there would be a number of people not familiar with either. In texts from a few years ago in the Corpus of Contemporary American English, a lot of the examples of rime are actually OCR mis-readings of time: "If something lasts a good long rime ..." This is a sure sign that the word being searched for is not used often.

So rime, riming and rimed will all be treated as rare in future.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
So rime, riming and rimed will all be treated as rare in future.

Perhaps rimy (common in the recent PARSIMONY game) was missed? (I think rime and rimed are more common than rimy.)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

What we miss out on here in Oz. I haven't seen anything like these pics even in our snowy mountains.

Birdy - somehow your link has picked up an ftp:// at the start and has an error page come up.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
How strange.  I just copied and pasted the URL and it got me to the page. But when I clicked on it, it showed that ftp.

I have no idea how that happened, but try copying and pasting this - it got me there:

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »
Perhaps rimy (common in the recent PARSIMONY game) was missed? (I think rime and rimed are more common than rimy.)

Quite correct, TRex. Rimy will also be rare from now on. I've also verified that riminess, rimier and rimiest are already rare.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites