Author Topic: Rejected word 5 Feb standard  (Read 2289 times)

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
Rejected word 5 Feb standard
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Could not believe schlong was rejected.  Classic slang for a penis.  Supposedly derived from Yiddish but I'm not Jewish and its a common term to me.  Is this only in the US?
Stevens Point, WI

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected word 5 Feb standard
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
I've seen and heard the word, but only in American books and movies; I wouldn't say it was common, but that may be because there are so many other terms for the 'gentleman's appendage' in use in every part of the English-speaking world.  It looks Yiddish, possibly a corruption of German 'Schlange', a snake (?)

MK
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:04:36 AM by mkenuk »

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:59:32 AM »
I've seen and heard the word, but only in American books and movies; I wouldn't say it was common, but that may be there are so many other terms in use in every part of the English-speaking world.  It looks Yiddish, possibly a corruption of German 'Schlange', a snake (?)

Spot on.

OED has
Etymology:  < Yiddish shlang, < Middle High German slange (German Schlange) serpent.
U.S. slang.
The penis. Also applied contemptuously to a person.

See also schlong in the Online Etymological Dictionary.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
This word was mentioned recently in a thread on schlock. I feel I should deal with this suggestion before looking at the more recent issue.

In fact, there's no doubt about the eligibility of schlong to be accepted. It is found in various dictionaries. It is generally labeled as a US term, but this is no barrier to its admission as a rare word. In any case, its use is not unknown elsewhere. For example a 2015 piece in the Independent about the state of dentistry in the UK:

My last NHS dentist operated out of what could be described as an outhouse made of MDF. For appointments at 8am he’d regularly swagger in without apology at 8.40am, clad in eye-wateringy snug Spandex cycling shorts... In private dentist world, one meets all the ambitious, big dollar-making, punctual dentists who favour a nice, prim white coat and wouldn’t dream of presenting their schlong to you at eye level through cycling shorts.

In a context like that, the meaning of the word is obvious, even to a reader who's never seen it before. It probably has the attraction for the writer of being more casual than penis, but less vulgar than some of the other terms that might be used. Plus it sounds funny.

In the recent thread, Les303 mentioned Donald Trump's use of the word schlonged, referring to Hillary Clinton's 2008 defeat in the primaries by Barack Obama. The use of schlong as a verb is found only in Wiktionary, where it has both a physical and a figurative meaning. The examples I found online were almost all related to Mr Trump's remarks. At this stage I don't think schlonged is well enough established for us to adopt as a word. (Of course it's of academic interest only, since it would probably never come up in a puzzle.) Depending on the result in November, we may find the word being regularly uttered from the Oval Office, and it might eventually be adopted by all the dictionaries.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites