Author Topic: congratulations  (Read 8351 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
congratulations
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »
I think special congratulations are due to anyone who, alone and unaided by on-line anagram solvers and suchlike, has gained a rosette on today's challenge (27-12-11). I.m.h.o. it's one of the most challenging challenges I've seen in the 2 years plus that I've been playing Chi.
MK

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: congratulations
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:36:10 PM »
As a matter of interest, the common word found by the fewest players in that puzzle was conchie, played by 22 people, or about 10% of those who played at least one word. The next most elusive common words were chicane and calcine each found by about 14% of players. All three are arguably not so common. The next word was inhale (23%), definitely a common word, but probably tricky to think of because of its unusual structure.

The common niner, cochineal, was played by 43%, and the rare niner, coachline, by 17%.

The seasonally appropriate rare word noel was found by more players (54%) than any other rare word.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
I'm surprised 'cochlea' was found by more solvers than 'inhale'; I'm not surprised that 'conchie' was so elusive; I suspect it's only ever heard now in British war movies or the like. A shortened and derogatory form of  'conscientious objector', roughly equivalent to the American 'draft-dodger' at the time of the invasion of Vietnam.
MK

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:22:52 AM »
Thanks, Alan, for the statistics. Very interesting.

I wonder if statistics couldn't be used to determine which words are common rather than ongoing requests to reclassify words?

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
Yes, thank you for the fascinating stats, Alan.  Would it be possible to publish statistics like these for each game?  I'd also be interested in other statistical data such as the percentage of players who got all the common words, the percentage of players who reached each level etc. 

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
MK, I had an idea that conchie is also used sometimes to mean simply conscientious, as in, "You finished your essay a week early? You're so conchie!" However, a quick Google suggests this usage is a lot rarer than I had thought. I'm inclined to think the word ought to be reclassified to rare, along with calcine. However, chicane perhaps could remain common.

TRex, I have used such statistics in the past, to identify candidates for reclassification. After the site had been going for a couple of years, I generated a database of all the common words that had appeared in puzzles, with the percentage of times each word had been found. I then reviewed a lot of the words that had the lowest percentages. As a result, quite a few words were changed to rare. I think this might have been before the forum started, so there was no big announcement about it.

Now that a lot more play statistics have been accumulated, it would probably be a very good idea to carry out a similar exercise again. However, when I did this before, I didn't feel that I could completely automate the process, by saying that all words found by fewer than x% of players should be rare, and all others common. One complicating factor I mentioned before, with the example of inhale, is that some well-known words can be hard to think of because of their uncommon form. Of course, thinking of such words is part of the challenge of the game.

On the other side of the ledger, there are words that have become well-known to Chi players, although they may not be common words in general usage. For example, tine is one of the most frequently occurring "common" words in Chi, because its letters are all very common ones. I imagine regular players have become familiar with this word, and play it whenever the letters allow, but how well-known is it to the general public?

Morbius, your idea of more statistics on the Web site is a good one. I'll give some thought to it. It would be interesting, for example, if a player who comes up with an unusual word could see how many other players got that word. (I think something like this has been suggested before. Maybe if the idea comes up often enough I'll get around to doing something about it.) By looking at the number of rosettes on the scoreboard, and the chart below the scoreboard, you can get an idea of how many players got all the common words, and how many reached each level, but not percentages.

Of course, the ideal would be that the percentage reaching each level is about the same for every puzzle. It would be an interesting exercise to see how much variation there actually is between puzzles.
Alan Walker

Tom44

• Paronomaniac
  • Pyrotechnics Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
The problem with common/uncommon is complicated by regionalism.  I have (not bragging - assume its true for all players) a large working vocabulary.  Tine was a common word to me long before Chi showed up.  Other words common to me like "asse" are common because of crossword puzzles.  What gets me are the expressions that might be common in Britain or Australia but which are not very common is the US (and I am sure the reverse for other people).  On the few times I have managed the rosette there will inevitably be words included that I got lucky with and were in fact not common to me.  I don't think there is a solution for this.  Your example of inhale is a good one for why simple statistics might not work well.

I do like seeing the statistics like you had earlier in this thread.  E.g., would be fun to see the average percent of common words found by all non-anon players.  Maybe a weekly summary could be generated. 

Cheers/TTFN   :)
Stevens Point, WI

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »
I also think of tine as common. (But then, I thought alit was common until Alan demonstrated otherwise.)

I agree that it shouldn't be automated. A word like inhale ought not be made uncommon just because players are not getting it. But, I wonder, is a word like inhale (and I think I have a harder time thinking of words beginning with vowels) consistently missed by a large percentage of players or is it just missed when with certain other letters? I'd think that once any word was found by a sufficiently large percentage of players it could be regarded as common even if it wasn't consistently found each time it was available to play.

I do agree that conchie and calcine aren't terribly common. But I'd also put chicane in that category.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
Like TRex, I'd re-classify 'conchie' and 'calcine' as rare; Not sure about 'chicane', though. I don't really follow Grand Prix / F1 motor-racing but I do know what a chicane is in that context; there's also 'chicanery' ( =trickery) of course, which I think is probably quite well known.
MK

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
Chicane - one I've never heard or seen - guess it shows that I don't watch car races.  NatalyaPetrovna just told me she doesn't know it either. 

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 11:38:54 PM »
I don't watch car races either, birdy, but I'm familiar with chicane because the word is often used round these parts for constructions in suburban streets designed to force cars to slow down - an example of the quaintly named "traffic calming" measures. Here's a link to an example in Google Street View of what I mean. Perhaps this is a local terminology.
Alan Walker

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 03:47:43 AM »
I know them as chicanes, too.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »
Is it a raised ridge dividing the two lanes?  I couldn't quite tell from the picture.  Or are they the white-outlined asphalt islands that cause a curve in the traffic lanes.

We have traffic-taming humps that go across the two lanes - called speed bumps.

And my old neighborhood has recently built extensions of the sidewalks out into the street at a couple of corners, which narrows the traffic lane.  But I had the impression that that was at least as much for pedestrian safety as speed control.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »
Yes, birdy, they're the raised areas preventing the traffic from keeping to a straight course.
Alan Walker

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 03:41:51 AM »
I just checked with my-cousin-the-Formula-One-fan.  He only knows the term from car-racing and hasn't heard it used elsewhere.  He mentioned that he didn't find that meaning on Dictionary.com.  But he did find it used as a verb in the chicanery sense, with all the regular inflections.  I am not chicaning you!

So from my point of view it's a rare word, though as usual when I say that, it will probably appear at least three times in the next month.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:46:44 AM by birdy »