Author Topic: New Chi book coming soon  (Read 7725 times)

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Chi book coming soon
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »
I've just completed the third volume of Chihuahua puzzles in book form. It should be available from Amazon in a week or so, and other online booksellers soon after. Here's a clip of the cover.

Like the previous two volumes, it has 100 Chi puzzles, with full solutions at the back of the book. For details of the books, see the Chihuahua Puzzle Books page.

There's been enough interest in the books to persuade me to keep publishing a new book every few months.

For the next book after this third one, I'm thinking of doing something a bit different. One idea is for a book of extra large puzzles - that is, with an unusually large number of words to find. I could also include a few ten-letter puzzles. Or, I could go the other way, and put out a book of mini-puzzles, with fewer words in each, for people who just have a few minutes at a time to play. (Not that it would necessarily be any quicker to get all the words possible, but it would be quicker to reach the point where you can't think of any more words.)

Another idea I've had is for a book of "Chihuahua classic" puzzles, using the same rules for plurals as on the website, and permitting "taboo" words.

I'd be interested to see any thoughts forumites might have, especially those who have played puzzles in one of the books. And are there any comments on the physical size of the books - page dimensions and number of pages - or on the type sizes used? Or anything else...
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

ilandrah

• Word-meister
  • News South Wales, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Denizens of Ethos
Re: New Chi book coming soon
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
I personally would like to see it done with a spiral wire spine - like a note pad. The advantage being that it lays flat so that I can work my answers without having to break the spine of the book.
Is something like that possible?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »
It's probably not possible, ilandrah. The firm that I use to produce the books, CreateSpace, only offers the one type of binding. (This paperback style of binding is apparently known in the trade as perfect binding.) While some other print on demand companies offer spiral binding for certain book sizes, I don't think I could manage to have Chihuahua books with that type of binding at a similar price and the same kind of distribution.

You may just have to get brutal with the spine, ilandrah!
Alan Walker

technomc

• WordStar
  • Dorset UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
I like the idea of mini puzzles book....a good one for in the traffic jams that i am stuck in for several hours every week........

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
I'm curious, Alan. Are you using createspace.com for your books?

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
I'm curious, Alan. Are you using createspace.com for your books?

Yes, I am, TRex.
Alan Walker

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »
A small puzzle book would be great Alan.

Thanks,

Rhino
Obsessive rhinophile

2 tanners

• Logologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »
I personally travel a fair bit, often on long flights.  I'd certainly pay for a 'Chi for Android' app.