Author Topic: Another "s" word  (Read 3449 times)

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • MSN Messenger - rhinoserenity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Another "s" word
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »
Hi Alan,

I was surprised to find while doing one of the current Your Puzzles that "rapids", as in fast moving water, is not accepted as a word. I believe that this noun is the only form of this derivation, rather than in the singular form - could you please add rapids as a common?

Thanks,

Rhino
Obsessive rhinophile

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Another "s" word
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »
Hi Alan,

Another one, from tody's Standard puzzle - what about "dues" as in money payable?

Cheers,

Rhino
Obsessive rhinophile

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:02:23 PM »
Hi Rhino, I tried to persuade Alan that "dues" ought to be allowed, but my idea was rejected  :'(

If you go the "Words" category and search "dues" you'll find the threads that discuss it.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
Rapids

My first reaction to this suggestion was that it should clearly be accepted, as rapid is an adjective, and not the singular of rapids.

However, on looking into it, I find that most dictionaries have a listing for rapid as a singular noun, meaning a stretch of a river with fast-moving water, while noting that it is "usually" used in the plural. The singular usage does seem to be quite rare. One example quoted in the OED is from a 1900 letter by Bernard Shaw: "We steered the Society safely through a rapid in which it might have been wrecked." At the same time, the form rapids is sometimes treated as a singular word, though this is also fairly rare: "As with most things, there is more than one way to shoot a rapids." (Death on the Barrens, 2010, by George James Grinnell.)

I'm still inclined to think rapids should be allowed, since the singular rapid is little-used, and the word rapid is overwhelmingly used as an adjective.

Dues

So does my thinking about rapids justify a re-think about dues?

When I discussed it before, here, I relied on the fact that due is quite commonly used as a singular noun, in expressions like "give him his due". I suppose the weak point in that argument is that this usage has a different meaning from the normal sense of dues, as a membership fee, or in the figurative sense of "paying your dues", meaning to go through hardships. And the singular due, being almost invariably preceded by a possessive ("her due", "his due", etc), has become an idiomatic construction, where the word due tends to lose its character as a noun in its own right.

I'm always hesitant to allow a plural, for fear that I'll create a precedent that will open the way for hordes of other plurals. But perhaps the reality of how dues and due are normally used justifies me revising my previous ruling.

So, unless anyone can persuade me otherwise, I'll allow both rapids and dues. And, as both words are quite well known, I don't think I have any choice but to make them common words.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
Thank you for this, Alan.  So nice to find someone flexible in his thinking!

rhino

• Word-meister
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »
Thanks Alan. I like your revised thinking ...

Rhino
Obsessive rhinophile